Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel injector cleaner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
Fuel injector cleaner

Does any one use any fuel injector cleaner on the mercedes? I have a C32 and wanted to know If anyone had done this? what brand did you use if so?
Old 06-10-2005, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
We've been kicking this around for days , where you been ?
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/110577-can-we-put-fuel-additives-our-komprressors.html
Old 06-10-2005, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OK I dont care what brand of gas or octane you put in your car! I want to know is it safe to use fuel injector cleaner on A supercharged Benz. and if so what brand? the link that you put dont tell me what I want to know.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Is it safe?

MB says don't use any FI cleaners. They designed and built the car so who's more qualified to answer? Others agree and say (and I'm with them) there are sufficient cleaners in the gas. What makes you think you need it anyway? Why take the chance? With today's microprocessor controlled engines I doubt there is a need. If a problem did exist with dirty/leaky/poor spraying injectors you would most likely get an error code.....that would tell you what really needs to be done. I'm amazed at how many people think they are taking 'better' care of their cars by throwing extra non scheduled/needed service at it all under the guise of "it can't hurt". I don't care really, but on the net all you get is opinions anyway.

Last edited by mleskovar; 06-11-2005 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by Trekman
OK I dont care what brand of gas or octane you put in your car! I want to know is it safe to use fuel injector cleaner on A supercharged Benz. and if so what brand? the link that you put dont tell me what I want to know.

Read all the postings... , don't just read my posting about Redline....all your questions are answered if you just read...........

Quote by : E55AMG99 :
Have you been paying attention? Having a supercharger is not the problem when using additives.

Let me run it down for you.

1. Fuel system, injector cleaners are not necessary since all major brands of gas have some form of detergent already in it.

2. Engine cleaners, carbon deposit removers, combustion and valve deposit removers, etc. are not necessary for mostly the same reason above and the fact that the car is low mileage. New engines run so very cleanly (as close to stoichiometric as possible) that there is very little of the combustion process left behind.

3. Octane boosters come in a variety of flavors but most involve Toluene or some other form of Benzene which have very high 110-120 performance ratings. (Notice I didn't say octane? There is technically no such thing as anything with an octane rating over 100 but that is another lesson.) Both of these are already major components of the gas you buy at the pump. Why? Gasoline, when it is first cracked, consits of about 62% iso-octane (octane)and about 38% heptane. The former has an octane rating of 100 and the latter is zero. Averaged out, you get gasoline with an octane rating of 62. Add in Benzene, Toluene, and a host of other compounds that end in ANE or ENE and you get the crap that comes out of the pump at the gas station. -

Back to the question "What about octane boosters for my S/C motor?" ANSWER- You may or may not need to use them and some may or may not be harmful to your fuel system. How's that for a load of crap? Serioulsy, you need to determine if your driving conditions warrant the need for higher octane. 91 might be sufficient. How to tell? A simple method is to go to Unocal and put in a 50/50 mix of 91 and 100 which makes 95.5 and note your fuel mileage for the whole tank. Also note any other differences but be careful about using your "butt dyno". Most, if not all are notoriously out of calibration. Do the same thing again but use a 75/25 ratio which makes 93.25. If the mileage is the same for both tests, you don't need anything over 93. If both tests are the same as 91, then you don't need any extra octane at all. See how easy that was? While this test is prone to error since the "sample" is so small (you may need to run 2-3 tanks), it will give you an idea of what the optimum octane fuel is for your car, where and the way you drive it.

Now that you have found what octane rating your vehicle likes to drink, you can experiment with octane booster in a can. Look for the types that are safe for catalytic converters (most are) and run some tests similar to above using the recommended ratios on the can. Personally, I've used straight Toluene but I don't recommend it for the novice.

Geez, can we put this issue to bed now before someone else replies with more FUD?

Last edited by C43AMG; 06-11-2005 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I did read it, it didnt give me a solid answer just saw everyones opinion on it. but if Mercedes benz said not to use anything then that would be the answer I'm looking for! thanks