Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help: Troubleshooting Aux Fan Short R129

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help: Troubleshooting Aux Fan Short R129

Hello everyone. I posted this question in the R129 forum but not getting any feedback whatsoever there so I thought I'd give the tech forum a shot.
I've got a 1990 300SL-24 with a short circuit problem in the auxilliary fan circuitry. Basically, everytime the aux fans would come on, either by A/C or water temp, the aux fan fuse will blow immediately. I checked the wiring on both fans and nothing seems to be out of place or grounding anywhere. All insulation seems fine. Im a bit challenged when it come to electrical issues so I would appreciate if someone could help me out. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this application? I was thinking as a last resort, just to re-wire the aux fan system but I would need a wiring schematic to do so. I think that a 1990 -up 300CE or 300E would be similar since we share the same engine? If anyone has any advice or suggestion, please post. Thanks in advance
Old 06-15-2005, 11:50 AM
Almost a Member!

Before you do all that, find out if it's the fan itself that is causing the problem. Disconnect the aux. fan wiring connector, then jump the fan switch on the A/C receiver/dryer. If the fuse does not blow, then the fan is at fault.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:31 PM

Sound logical. I will try that later when I get home. I also learned that it might be the aux fan resistor that's at fault, probably grounded somewhere. I will post an update later on my findings. Thanks!