Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger Lubrication = "Jet Oil"?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 10:41 PM

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
'03 S55 (79K miles)
Supercharger Lubrication = "Jet Oil"?

I read the S class approved maintenance fluids booklet and noticed a section specifying "Mobil Synthetic Jet Oil" for the the S55 AMG Supercharger.

Is there some kind of reservoir of oil for the supercharger that is separate from the engine oil? Where is it located? How does one check it or change it?

Also, the supercharger has a water to air intercooler. I suspect the water (pumped through the intercooler under the supercharger, above the engine block) is the same as the coolant flowing through the engine. Is that correct?
Old 07-16-2005, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 C350 4MATIC
Oils

The closest I can get to that description would be Mobil MS-2190 TEP or or Shell Turbo EP 78.

Those are two oils used in turbine (jet) applications for high reliability lubrication. They are MIL rated oils.

You could also look at Shell Turbo T lubricating oils. They are a step better than EP 78.

Watch for the differences between synthetics, you want oils with a polyalphaolephins (PAO) base instead of a wax isomerate base (VHVI). Where you will see this is in the game that Castrol played (I worked for a sister company of Castrol). PAO oils are more expensive than the VHVI synthetics. BP/Amoco (who I worked for) was really big in PAO based synthetics (as is Mobil).

Back when I was in that business here is where it stood (ten years ago);

BP/Amoco PAO
Castrol VHVI
Chevron PAO and VHVI
Penzoil/Quaker State PAO
Mobil PAO

What's the big deal is the pressure-viscosity index of an oil. Or how it behaves in a thin film under pressure between two parts.

Old style mineral oils (non synthetic) had superior pressure-viscosity numbers known as when under 80 C but as we all know, our vehicle oil ususally runs much hotter than that, expecially in the turbine. This value is tested under a standard known as AGMA 925-A03.

What's going to be cool is when the PAG synthetics start becoming available. They will have a better value than the existing PAO lubricants. They will have a better value by 30% over existing PAO synthetics.

In Summary, follow MB's spec's for oils. Europe has a much more stringent standard for what is a synthetic and what is a blended synthetic. For now, in the states it's all "snake oil salesmen" (excuse the pun).
Old 07-17-2005, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by Tishers
The closest I can get to that description would be Mobil MS-2190 TEP or or Shell Turbo EP 78.

Those are two oils used in turbine (jet) applications for high reliability lubrication. They are MIL rated oils.

You could also look at Shell Turbo T lubricating oils. They are a step better than EP 78.

Watch for the differences between synthetics, you want oils with a polyalphaolephins (PAO) base instead of a wax isomerate base (VHVI). Where you will see this is in the game that Castrol played (I worked for a sister company of Castrol). PAO oils are more expensive than the VHVI synthetics. BP/Amoco (who I worked for) was really big in PAO based synthetics (as is Mobil).

Back when I was in that business here is where it stood (ten years ago);

BP/Amoco PAO
Castrol VHVI
Chevron PAO and VHVI
Penzoil/Quaker State PAO
Mobil PAO

What's the big deal is the pressure-viscosity index of an oil. Or how it behaves in a thin film under pressure between two parts.

Old style mineral oils (non synthetic) had superior pressure-viscosity numbers known as when under 80 C but as we all know, our vehicle oil ususally runs much hotter than that, expecially in the turbine. This value is tested under a standard known as AGMA 925-A03.

What's going to be cool is when the PAG synthetics start becoming available. They will have a better value than the existing PAO lubricants. They will have a better value by 30% over existing PAO synthetics.

In Summary, follow MB's spec's for oils. Europe has a much more stringent standard for what is a synthetic and what is a blended synthetic. For now, in the states it's all "snake oil salesmen" (excuse the pun).
The most popular synthetic oil used in turbine/jet engines seems to be Exxon 2380. Believe that is used from the engine's respective manufacturer such as GE, Pratt and Whitney,Airsearch, etc. I remember being told also to never mix oils in turbine engines always add whats already in there. Fortunatly its rarely required to add oil unless the engine has a leaking compressor seal or such. My recollection is that I almost never had to add any oil between 100 hour maint events.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
There is no reservior for kompressor oil. To drain it you will need to remove kompressor from the engine and remove front clutch and front half.

My guess the oil is suppose to be there for life of the kompressor.

Intercooler cooling circuit is connected to engine cooling circuit and uses the same anti-freeze.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:41 PM

'06 C350 4MATIC
Permanent Lube

Gosh, that is short sighted of them.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:20 PM

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
'03 S55 (79K miles)
Thanks for the responses! minor correction...

Just to be accurate, I looked (again) in my "Factory Approved Service Products June 2002" book that came with my 2003 S55 info.

For the Supercharger Oil for Engine M113 (in SL55, CL55 and S55 only), it actually says "Mobil Jet Oil II"

Thanks, Folks, for the education. I guess that's one more item to cross off the DIY list.