Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC funkiness on W208

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320
AC funkiness on W208

Long story short, I've been having some issues with my CLK where the AC blows kinda warm when it's really HOT outside (and it's been 90 on average around here, so... )

I did some reading and I've been going over the diagnostics, but something doesn't look right... I have a feeling that either a temp sensor is acting up, the AC needs recharging, or both (or more?)

Take a look and let me know... these are the results from the AUTO - REST diag business:

1 (in car temp) 85 -- I know it's definitely not 85 in here
2 (outside temp) 123 -- digital readout on the dash says it's 92 outside
3 (heater core temp L) 70
4 (heater core temp R) 70
5 (evaporator core temp) 64
6 (engine coolant temp) 205 -- is that too high?
7 (refrigerant pressure) 16 -- is that too low?
8 (refrigerant temp) 139 -- is that right?
9 (not used) 0
10 (blower control voltage) 2.0
20 (control current of aux fan) 4.3
21 (engine RPM) 6
22 (vehicle speed) 0
23 (terminal 58d battery charge) 0
24 (battery voltage) 14.0
40 (software status register) 8
41 (hardware status register) 5

Any suggestions? The car is not due for another visit to the dealer for a couple of months, so I need to know if there's something that needs to get checked out ASAP and whether or not I can/should try and take care of it myself.

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2005, 03:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have a similar problem on my C55. The drivers side will be warm when it's hot but the passenger is fine. After driving for maybe 5 minutes at highway speeds the driver's side will gradually cool. I'm taking it in next weekend so I'll let you know what ends up being the problem.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:59 AM

CLK 320
Originally Posted by sdsilverm3
I have a similar problem on my C55. The drivers side will be warm when it's hot but the passenger is fine. After driving for maybe 5 minutes at highway speeds the driver's side will gradually cool. I'm taking it in next weekend so I'll let you know what ends up being the problem.
Well in your case it might be that the dampers are not working right or something... I think that HI/LO diagnostics business might help you figure out what's what, but that looks so complicated that you might as well let them do it...

In my case, all-around air is not so cool unless it's reasonably cool outside (under 80). Any higher outside temp and it looks like the AC (all vents) struggle to get cool, which seems to point to a lack of refrigerant. The values on the AC diag in my car seem out of whack too, which is why I posted.

Sucks that I got no replies though.