Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service A & Service B - COOLANT/TRANS/BRAKE FLUID CHANGED????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 07:34 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Service A & Service B - COOLANT/TRANS/BRAKE FLUID CHANGED????

I have 30k and going in for my service.. (2003 CLK)
Is it free?? Do they do it automatically??

Or do they come with SUPER LONG LIFE FLUIDS??

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
I believe that 03's still had free maint during the warranty period. Re the fluids, they are calander based and your manual will spell out the change periods. Cost? I do not know if they are included in the free maint in 03 I do know that in 02 they are, at least with my ML.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:58 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL Just got off the phone with my dealer/service advisor because i'm getting ready for my B service. Yes it's free if your car is still under warranty. You have to bring it in and they will check. If there's going to be a cost they will tell you. Not sure about the super long life fluid but they will top off all the cars fluids. Oil, coolant etc..
Old 08-01-2005, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Brake fluid....

...MB changed my brake fluid under the free maintenance program during an 'A' service since it was due at 2 yrs. Check the Service Booklet for your model and it gives you the time intervals for different fluid replacements.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:11 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Fluid Changes

If nothing else , Get the brake fluid changed . I just put EBC green pads on my CLK at 9000 miles , decided to bleed the system , The fluid that came out was dark brown. Had contaminites from the Brake pad dust. Show signs of being hot. and some moisture. All which comes from daily driving . You do not want this dirty fluid to work its way back up to the anti lock braking Module . It may not happen now , but after tears , I mean Years of driving it will get there . you will be out of the Warranty period . Trying to hold on to your wallet. A little preventive maintance now could save you from that type of expense
Old 08-07-2005, 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 BMW M5
The brake pad dust got into the brake fluid? Wow!! I think you should tell your MB dealer to get you some new lines as they are defenitly defective. Could you tell me how brake dust is getting in the lines and fluid is not coming out? Curious, because if you are correct then I need to find a new profession.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PTE
If nothing else , Get the brake fluid changed . I just put EBC green pads on my CLK at 9000 miles , decided to bleed the system , The fluid that came out was dark brown. Had contaminites from the Brake pad dust. Show signs of being hot. and some moisture. All which comes from daily driving . You do not want this dirty fluid to work its way back up to the anti lock braking Module . It may not happen now , but after tears , I mean Years of driving it will get there . you will be out of the Warranty period . Trying to hold on to your wallet. A little preventive maintance now could save you from that type of expense
Moisture maybe but brake dust and being hot wow, you must have porus brake lines and I assume you did a chemical analysis to determine how hot it was. You say this and you changed the pads/fluid yourself?? Don't believe I would want to ride in that vehicle after you have worked on it with your lack of knowledge and vivid imagination.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:36 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Brake fluid Change

Well There is a reason MB wants to change the brake fluid . They have all the data ,needed to know ,when and why they want to change those fluids . No , Didn't do a chemical analysis of the fluid , But if you have had the system apart , you would noticed that the Highly polished pistons are sealed against the weather by a dust seal and a internal Quad ring . They seal extremely well . But in hi humidity & rainy regions. Hot Brakes & hi water flooded streets may let Some moisture Wick back pass those seals . It is rare but does happen . Also remember , that their is a vent to the atmosphere ,At the brake reservoir . A tiny hole in the brake reservoir cap . Moisture gets in there also .then into the system. Almost all German car manufactures use a Dot4+200 in their anti skid /locking, braking system . This type of system Just runs hotter. The +200 indicates this fluid can handle an additional 200 degrees F temp , over the convental Dot 4 fluid. This fluid also attracts a fair amount of moisture. This is way they want too do the fluid change . They also Manully activate the ABS system through or with their Dignostic equipment , to help move the fresh clean fluid through the valveing module . And sometime use a vaccum /suction device to pull the fluid through . Most of the time it is recommended at 24,000 miles or every 2 years . Its needed .
I'm sorry if I was too simplistic on the first answer. I did have some comtamination . The car recenty was in for warped front rotors. to be replace. My guest is that the tech used shop air gun with 120 psi line pressure to blow away the dust , some could have got force by the seal & Quad ring . But who knows at this point.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PTE
Well There is a reason MB wants to change the brake fluid . They have all the data ,needed to know ,when and why they want to change those fluids . No , Didn't do a chemical analysis of the fluid , But if you have had the system apart , you would noticed that the Highly polished pistons are sealed against the weather by a dust seal and a internal Quad ring . They seal extremely well . But in hi humidity & rainy regions. Hot Brakes & hi water flooded streets may let Some moisture Wick back pass those seals . It is rare but does happen . Also remember , that their is a vent to the atmosphere ,At the brake reservoir . A tiny hole in the brake reservoir cap . Moisture gets in there also .then into the system. Almost all German car manufactures use a Dot4+200 in their anti skid /locking, braking system . This type of system Just runs hotter. The +200 indicates this fluid can handle an additional 200 degrees F temp , over the convental Dot 4 fluid. This fluid also attracts a fair amount of moisture. This is way they want too do the fluid change . They also Manully activate the ABS system through or with their Dignostic equipment , to help move the fresh clean fluid through the valveing module . And sometime use a vaccum /suction device to pull the fluid through . Most of the time it is recommended at 24,000 miles or every 2 years . Its needed .
I'm sorry if I was too simplistic on the first answer. I did have some comtamination . The car recenty was in for warped front rotors. to be replace. My guest is that the tech used shop air gun with 120 psi line pressure to blow away the dust , some could have got force by the seal & Quad ring . But who knows at this point.
Wrong again!! The only correct thing you said was about moisture. Brake fluid is hydroscopic which means it absorbs water from the atmosphere thru the system vent. Other things you call contaminents are from the wear on the o rings on the pistons in the master and wheel cylinders. As for the air pressure blowing past the seals, impossible as the system pressure that these seals withstand is far higher than the air pressure. You have a incorrect view of any brake system and no understanding of it at all. My prior post stands.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:36 PM

95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
I just don't see how brake dust can make its way into the fluid... nor how one can tell that the brake fluid is contaminated with brake dust, or moisture, or got too hot just by looking at it. Discoloration of the brake fluid is typically comes from fretting of the metal and rubber components in contact with the fluid and corrosion of the ferrous parts. Moisture contamination is assumed with old fluid. Rarely mentioned is that copper contaminates the fluid.

Regardless, everyone has the right idea that the fluid needs to be changed on a regular basis, especially on a car with sensitive and expensive ABS equipment.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
all i know is that i wouldn't ride in PTE's car !