Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kompressor trouble please HELP!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 C43 ///AMG
Kompressor trouble please HELP!!

After just having my C230K sedan for a week, the supercharger is acting up.

It is working intermittantly (not all the time). When the car is turned on in the mornings it makes strange noises which I was told is normal and the kompressor is spinning. Aswell when revving the engine up, it does kick in and spool up.

Now when driving its a different story. When you floor it from one stoplight it may or may not create the boost and give you that "kick".....if it doesnt it reaches redline slower than normal and basically is normally aspirated like a non kompressor 230.

Once you pull over and restart it will work for the first few times then not work anymore.

I thought it would be a possible MAS sensor but no check engine light is on or hesitation from the engine. So something is telling it the S/C not to come on....if the S/C was cooked then I dont think it would ever come on.

Where should I start looking? I dont race the car but I still want everything to work as should.

In another forum one person posted a very similar problem on his SLK230K and solved it by doing this:

took out the "Relay Module" box. Mostly all of the relays are contained in this box and soldered to a circuit board. Then I had to open it up and find were the K40 Relay was on the circuit board. Wasn't hard to find because there were two BAD solder joints for the K40. I re-soldered the connections and I haven't had a problem since.

Please help.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:48 PM

'91 190E 2.6L
Check it out with a code reader from an auto parts store. Even if the check engine light is not on it will still store a code in memory if it got an error. Bad solder would shut off/on mid run (like a loose wire making contact) while a bad sensor could click on or off depending on a bad temp or O2 read or something. Be careful when soldering if you havent done it before, best to let a pro do it for $50 than dump $100's into MB electronics. This has just been my exp with adding Superchargers to other cars and running into problems. It could be that the sensor IS poorly soldered in which case it is a compound of both problems.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:17 AM

99 C43 ///AMG
thanks...

Codes and values will be read tommorow at a local private MB mechanic and he said it could possibly be the MAS going but will know more when the codes are read.