Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought E320 4 days ago now won't move...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 SL550
Unhappy Just bought E320 4 days ago now won't move...

Ok, so I found a 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon with 104000 miles in really nice condition which I bought on Thursday. After extensive test drive (including 110mph on I-95) I took it home for my wife. Got to drive it on Fri and then on Sat., 1/2 mile from my house I stop to get pizza and when I put it into gear no engagement, just a whirring sound. Looked under the car and see small amount of oil which I believe is ATF around the front CV, close to engine/trans. Dealer had CVs replaced before I bought the car. I can't check the ATF 'cause no dipstick but I'm assuming it blew a seal and leaked out to the point where there was not enough to engage the trans. Any ideas on the depth of the problem. Is this a common thing. Dealer picked up car today and said would "look into it" My wife is freaked, doesn't want the car so I'm wondering if this looks like a big issue. Did the monkey who did the CVs set something up to break thru' ignorance? Any ideas would be great. I could sell the car and get my $ back and try again but after reading about all the probs. with W210 I'm kinda gun-shy. I've had 4 MBs and really like the cars but the last was a 1981 300TD which seems to be from the glory days. Are these cars worth having if they are higher miles used, this never used to be a problem for MB before, my 300TD had 160 or 180,000mi and ended up than that...
Old 09-07-2005, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
I think it was a mechanic who did not do proper maintainence. I would not worry and I am sure it will be an easy fix and a reliable at that.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 SL550
OK, the case thickens! I just spoke to the shop and they said there is nothing wrong with the car, came off the wrecker and drove fine. I think it's low on ATF and when they took it on and off the flatbed the ATF was dispersed enough to make it engage gears and run fine. This is pure speculation, of course. maybe I'm
Another thing that I remember is just before it wouldn't move it gave a bump as I was parking it, like I hit the parking barrier (which I didn't) and maybe that has something to do with it. Actually with them saying nothing is wrong is also maybe worse than not knowing for sure.
I am going to buy the dipstick, ATF and filter and do an ATF change ASAP to see what I can find...