Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 E320 Code 11, N4/1 module question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 E320 Code 11, N4/1 module question.

I apologize in advance for the length. You may want to take a bathroom break or whatever before trying to decifer this story!!! Just trying to relieve as much guess work as possible.
The Vehicle,
1995 Mercedes Benz E320 Cabriolet
Model: 124.066
Engine: 104.992
Options:
Automatic transmission
ASR
CD changer
Mileage: 96000
Changes to vehicle:
Wiring Harness
EA/CC/ISC Actuator(M16/1)
Spark plugs......I figure about $250-$300 a hole so far!
(I should have never changed those darn spark plugs)
EGR cleanup routine with instructions found on forum.
Reference info:
Online Forums
AllData
Model 124 Service Manual CD Library
Problems:
ASR light on
Operating in Limp-Home mode
Transmission does not shift unless I let up on accelerator

Codes pulled with Impulse Counter Scan Tool(Awesome tool built from plans found on forum ),
Codes 11 and 14 from the EA/CC/ISC Control Module(Socket 14)
Code 8 from the HFM-SFI Engine Control Module(Socket 8)
Code 6 from the Diagnostic Module(Socket 3)
I ***ume this code is based on the other codes.

The CTP switch, fuel shutoff and brake switch passed the tests.
I checked for air leaks and do not believe there are any. I did replace all the rubber air fittings(I hope!) just in case. I did not replace any plastic lines. I then used a stethescope to try and listen for air leaks. I am not really sure what I was listening for but I touched it to as many lines and connectors as I could get to. I ***umed that if there was a leak it would be noticable through that thing. Kinda fun though :p

The EA does not feel like it is binding. When I turn on the ignition(not starting the vehicle) I hear the EA move and then it snaps back. It is not a smooth return and I can't recall if that is normal. I performed the throttle linkage adjustment. I have about 1/8" of play at the follower spring and the tips lined up on bowden cable. I checked for obstruction around the accelerator pedal and WOT switch. Also vaccumed to make sure. I believe it is setup correctly but the snap from the EA makes me wonder.

The only test step from Alldata I cannot remedy is for the code 11, socket 14, test 19 which is the closed throttle recognition signal to engine control module(N3/4). With the ignition ON the nominal values listed are <=4.8V - closed throttle position and >=5.5v - depress accelerator pedal. My results are 7.87 closed and 7.08 depressed. I am thinking that once I solve this I may be a winner. for now.

Does anyone know where I can get a schematic of the EA/CC/ISC control module(N4/1)? There are alot of numbers on the module...

VDO
412.228/001/032
124 545 6532 E-GAS
29.11.94 0018 HEI.S88
*EC69940I04881* 101 032

Better yet would be advice on how I can repair the unit. I understand there are serious liabilites in handing out that kind of information but I would love to get an anonymous email or find writing on a wall or or or.....to figure this thing out!!

Sorry about the long wind. If you made it this far, thanks for the time!
Take Care
Tom