Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger cool down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 SL63
Supercharger cool down

I know I could research this but...

My kid lets his Subaru idle for a few minutes before he turns it off. He says he is cooling the turbo down. He says I should do the same thing because of the super charger. ???? What's best for a supercharged engine before shutting it down, let it idle for a few minutes or shut her right down??
Old 09-26-2005, 02:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You don't have to do that for your supercharger because it spins off the belt, turbos spin off the exhaust gases.

I can't remember why they do that for turbos though.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 MB E320
yes, turbo spins on the hot exhaust and the cool air from the inter-cooler, plus turbo's has a thin oil that lubricates the bearing that spins the fins. cooling the turbo after a hard drive is a good idea using a turbo timer, so you don't have to sit in the car and let it idle. Super charger is another thing, since its not using hot exhaust to spin the fins, and it spins by belt driven...i don't think you have to let the turbo cool off, but would let your engine cool down. like drive easy for the next couple miles till you get to your destination if that helps.
Turbo get its lubrication by pumping oil in the bearings. if the engine is shut off before cool down, there's no oil being pump in to help transfer the heat away..so the turbo cooks while trying to cool off, without the oil to help the heat disipate.

Last edited by Kanji; 09-26-2005 at 03:02 AM.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ones that move me
In addition, thanks to the clutch the supercharger isn't spinning at idle anyway.