Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent help needed!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Urgent help needed!!

My Merc, a 1889 190 2lts petrol (gas) has developped a problem. Start first touch when cold, but when reaching working temperature, it wont restart or more accurate, is reluctant, unless the engine is cranked for long minutes. Seems that is starving of fuel, any suggestions, please. Local mechanics (London, UK) including Official Merc mechanics, can't find or even diagnose the fault.

help, please....!!!
Old 11-04-2005, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
I'm guessing you mean a 1989, if you have an 1889, don't worry about repairs, I'll take that undependable Daimler Motorengesellschaft off your hands! In fact, I'll trade you a DEPENDABLE, MODERN, CLK for your early Gottlieb Daimler contraption.

At any rate, you may wish to have a mechanic check the fuel pressure. If the pressure is bleeding down quickly, that may be a sign of one or more injectors leaking, making the car flood, and difficult to start. A simple injector service will fix that. This is assuming the engine turns over at a normal speed. If the engine turns over slowly (or slower) when warm, that could be another sign. Assuming the timing isn't advanced (hot engines with advanced timing don't like to start either), bad wiring gets worse when hot, making the starter turn over slowly, which makes starting problematic.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
I am not sure what the problem is with those mechanics at the dealer, but MarcusF is dead on with his advice. I'd be suspicious of the engine wiring. It gets hard and brittle, and the insulation begins to fall off. You can look with your eye, and see if the harness is in good shape. Changing the harness on the engine, on the other hand, is not for the faint of heart, and you will need a healthy cheque book.