Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changed battery, windows/trunk/sunroof not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 02:44 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB E430 Sport
changed battery, windows/trunk/sunroof not working

I did a search and found very little. I just changed my dead battery today with a new one. Now, my trunk doesn't open, my windows and sunroof don't open, and the notification system doesn't seem to work. I'm guessing the battery changed caused the computer to reset, but what do I have to do to fix while avoiding taking a trip to the service center? Also, my radio doesn't work and the codes are in the trunk that doesn't open.

I have a 98 E430.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:56 AM

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts
S 63 Coupe, GLS 63
Use the blade key to get into the trunk

resynchronize the windows/sunroof
Old 11-11-2005, 01:28 PM
Almost a Member!

MB E430 Sport
Originally Posted by TECHNICIAN
Use the blade key to get into the trunk

resynchronize the windows/sunroof
Thanks for your suggestions, but I tried that but it still does not open. The blade key did nothing for opening the trunk. Is that an electronic switch to open it? Anyways, I stick the key in and twist but nothing happens. Worse yet, I have important papers in there that I need.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
Insert the blade key in the trunk lock, turn the key and press in at the same time. Then get your stuff out and renormalize the windows and roof.

Hold all the switches at the first detent in the upwards motion and hold them for about 3 seconds after they fully close. You may also hear an audible clicking sound from each door once they are "normalized."
Old 11-11-2005, 09:53 PM
Almost a Member!

MB E430 Sport
Originally Posted by [MB]CRS
Insert the blade key in the trunk lock, turn the key and press in at the same time. Then get your stuff out and renormalize the windows and roof.

Hold all the switches at the first detent in the upwards motion and hold them for about 3 seconds after they fully close. You may also hear an audible clicking sound from each door once they are "normalized."
Thanks! The trunk finally opened after following your instructions. I didn't know I had to twist and push inwards.

I tried to normalize the windows per your instructions with no luck. The switches on the center console do not work: windows, trunk, power mirror switches. Any ideas?
Old 11-12-2005, 10:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
Hmmm, I guess its possible that you popped a fuse or something. Did you spill anything in the console? pull the trim around the shifter and pull up the wood to see if it is plugged in.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:48 PM
Almost a Member!

MB E430 Sport
I took my car in for servicing (Service B), and mentioned to them the inoperable window switches. They are going to charge me $275 to run a electronic diagnostic! WTF!
Old 11-16-2005, 01:21 AM
Almost a Member!

MB E430 Sport
Update:

The MB service dept found the window/mirror/trunk switches to be faulty, possibly caused during the installation of the battery. The replacement part costed $450.00!!! I was dumbfounded and shocked. The total was $650 that included the labor to install the part. I'm going back to the folks that installed the battery to have them reimburse me for this money.

Needless to say, MB parts are expensive!