Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W211 - Replace SBC or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 - E500
W211 - Replace SBC or not?

I have a 2003 E500 Avantgarde with only 57,000K (35,000 miles)on it. I recently had a pronlem where the brakes went into hydraulic back up mode. I took it to a dealer who diagnosed from the following fault codes that the SBC needed a full replacement.

SBC - MB Number 0044314212 HW Version 11.2002 SW Version 17.2004
Code
C25D6 This fault can be ignored and erased
C26DE Hydraulic fault: Malfunction in pressure supply
C26BB Hydraulic fault: Malfunction in pressure supply

ESP
Code
C14BE System faults: Test control module A7/3n1 (SBC Control module)

My VIN number was one of the ones which needed the bracket fitment to stop electrcial connections coming loose on the SBC. From what I can ascertain no recalls had been completed on this car.

There was no physical sign of leaks or anything else that would have symptomised a drop in pressure.

Should the dealer have gone straight to replacing the SBC? The diagnosis took only 10mins. Or would the software upgrades and bracket fitment along with replacing the regluator have solved it? Would any of the above have caused the same fault codes?

The vehicle is outside of the warranty terms, so the repair was very expensive some $4500 US Dollars.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:08 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
BMW E30. I've turned to the dark side.
before everbody bashes the dealer for replacing the SBC assy, i'd just like to say that if they just updated the software, cleared the codes and gave the car back and then something went wrong, they would be liable. if it were my own personal car and my $4500, i would have updated the software and cleared the code... on the thought of you paying for it, if there was a recall in place when you took it in, it shoud be warr regardless of mileage. i don't remember if that info is a recall campaign or service bulletin. maybe another tech can refresh my memory
Old 12-27-2005, 11:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
The bracket/ground harness is under the latest SBC recall campaign for 211/230. The only thing that is a "service campaign" is the replacement of the suction hose by itself.

I have seen those fault codes stored in cars before that had an SBC malfunction. From my experience, it doesn't seem to be related to the software update or the ground wiring. I replaced a unit a couple weeks ago that did not fall under any of the existing recalls, but it had updated software installed previously. I switched the unit, bled the brakes, flashed it and it was perfect. I have never actually encountered a "loose" ground harness. You really cant afford to take a chance with someone's brakes and just do a couple things hoping that it works.