Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MBTECH: Your Opinion, Please.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 AMG C-32
Question MBTECH: Your Opinion, Please.

I have noted very wide fluctuations in my C-32's performance. There are instances wherein the car feels quite strong and instances wherein it feels almost sluggish. I realize there exist many variables involved such as ambient temperature and humidity, amount and type of fuel, weight of passengers/cargo, engine/underhood temperatures, tire pressures and so forth. None of these variables appear to be playing a part. Even if the car feels strong on an initial run, performance tails off quite noticeably with each successive run. Any thoughts? Thank You.
Old 12-11-2001, 08:13 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you talking about as far as acceleration??
Old 12-11-2001, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
On the first run, the car is relatively cool. On each successive run the car gets hotter and hotter. Cool air is denser than hot air, and a hot engine ingests hot air. It's pretty simple. You said "None of these variables appear to be playing a part" How do you know?
Old 12-12-2001, 10:54 AM

2002 AMG C-32
Question

JamE55: Yes, I was referring to acceleration.

mbtech: Having raced my Dodge 426 Max Wedge, Yenko 427 Camaro and Motion Performance 427 Vette (among others)on "strips" througout NJ/NY/Pennsylvania some years ago, I am most aware of the heat generation and associated reduction in engine performance following repeated acceleration runs. I am also familiar with forced-induction engines having owned several 911 Turbos. However, I have never experienced the dramatic reduction in performance exhibited by my C-32; the performance drop that follows even a single full throttle application (even the first such application of the day) is VERY marked.
None of this explains my other comment regarding day-to-day performance variations. Even with the ambient temperature/humidity, amount/type of gas in the tank, weight, time of day, tire pressures, warm-up procedure, engine temperature and roads driven as constants, performance varies greatly from one day to another. One day, acceleration seems strong, yet another day, it feels "flat". I realize that such day-to-day fluctuations are the norm, but again, I have never experienced such a wide varience. Any thoughts?
Old 12-12-2001, 10:55 AM

2002 AMG C-32
Question

JamE55: Yes, I was referring to acceleration.

mbtech: Having raced my Dodge 426 Max Wedge, Yenko 427 Camaro and Motion Performance 427 Vette (among others)on "strips" througout NJ/NY/Pennsylvania some years ago, I am most aware of the heat generation and associated reduction in engine performance following repeated acceleration runs. I am also familiar with forced-induction engines having owned several 911 Turbos. However, I have never experienced the dramatic reduction in performance exhibited by my C-32; the performance drop that follows even a single full throttle application (even the first such application of the day) is VERY marked.
None of this explains my other comment regarding day-to-day performance variations. Even with the ambient temperature/humidity, amount/type of gas in the tank, weight, time of day, tire pressures, warm-up procedure, engine temperature and roads driven as constants, performance varies greatly from one day to another. One day, acceleration seems strong, yet another day, it feels "flat". I realize that such day-to-day fluctuations are the norm, but again, I have never experienced such great variation . Any thoughts?
Old 12-12-2001, 12:03 PM
Out Of Control!

JZMD1

I've ready this same problem from the C32life.com. I believe it's a software fix problem. See if this link helps

http://www.c32life.com/faq.htm#Q1