Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car's title

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2006 | 03:02 AM

Car's title

Hey fellow enthusiasts,
I need some help and I have looked everywhere for it...
I saw a mercedes at the junk yard (wont get into he details, but it had low milage and great condition), i found the registration in the glove box and contacted the owner. After meeting up with the nice man I found that he was the original owner and that aside from the broken glass and dented fender the car was fine, but he wanted something newer (its a late 80s). He was happy to hear that the car wasnt going to get crushed (although dissapointed to hear that the junk yard that gave him $75 for the car now wanted $850 to buy it) and said that he would loook for the title but thought he gave it to the wrecker. So I bought the car from the junk yard and they claimed that the owner had the title.
After searching the previous owner realized that he did infact give the wrecker the title because they wouldnt take the car without it (for obvious reasons). When confronted with this, the wrecker (a real POS guy), said that he sent the title in stamped as JUNKED.
Well, I contacted the local DMV and the DMV Title office (that was a headache), they said that I could have the wrecker sign a paper saying the made a mistake- even with $200 bucks on the table the wont sign it because they are worried of having there books checked by the state...cash business. I asked them what other alternatives they could do if the previous owner was involved, the same response.

Is it true that once a title is Junked, the car can no longer be registered?

Things I was looking into:
-Salvage title?
-Mechanic's Lien? (I am in the profession)
-Hot rod title? (customize the car and create a different VIN)

any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
gtm
Old 01-23-2006 | 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
try posting in off topic...lots of people view that part of the forum and they might be able to better help you