Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 SLK230, High Mileage ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK230 (tentatively own)
2000 SLK230, High Mileage ?

Hello everyone, new here. Looks like a nice board.

My delimma is that I'm bored with my TransAm and looking for something a bit nicer.

I found a 2000 SLK230 Limited Edition. It has 86,000 miles on it. The dealer is asking more than Edmunds and NADA values, but I can talk them down from $18,900.

I have two concerns. One is the mileage. How much is too much?

The next is that the beige cover on the engine looked like it had been melted a little bit. Im not sure how that could happen, even if it did overheat. It looks similar to a sheet of plastic that was very hot had someone rub it in areas. Almost blurry.

Has anyone seen that before?

It drove very nicely. The feel of the shifter is not as 'solid' or 'exacting' as my Trans Am. I know these are very different cars, but how would you describe the feel of a good 5 speed?

The interior has very minor wear and I didn't even see swirls in the paint. The owners manual is gone and there is only one standard key and one valet key. There is no garage door remote.

The LE came with a 'cell phone' option. I don't know exactly what this is. Is this comething that could have ben removed?

What would you all pay for this car?

I have a carfax report on it and the only bad result was that it failed Texas emissions once. It was re-tested later that week and passed.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for the input!
Old 01-22-2006, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
It got a bit more than the average mileage for its age. However this should not be a problem provided that you are prepared to spend more than the routine dollars on Maint. As the cars get older and higher mileage maint costs rise. If in fact the cover had been melted it would have gotten so hot that severe damage to the engine has been caused and it most likely would not be running. I would not worry about that and the cause of the cover appearance is likely to be something else. Re the cell phone it was and is an option. Many people when trading take only the phone and leave all else in place which is likely what happened to this one. Look in the arm rest and see if the cradle is in place. If you want a phone I have a TDMA MB phone (Timeport) that I can sell to you. Only an MB phone will work in this car or any other MB's to interface with the system. As for price, these usually bring a higher than "book" figure as they are a bit scarce and are low production vehicles. Its a real nice car. Be certain to try to get a maint history from an MB dealer and that will give you a clue. If its not available because the car was serviced by an independent beware. Thats the cheap way out and most likely lots of stuff has not been done.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:46 PM

SLK230 (tentatively own)
There is a NAPA oil change sticker in the window, so it was at least a better than average shop, IMO.

Im not terribly concerned about the cell phone, Im just looking for ammo to get the price down. I think that $18,900 is a little high. I feel that $17,000 would be a fair price.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Shay
There is a NAPA oil change sticker in the window, so it was at least a better than average shop, IMO.

Im not terribly concerned about the cell phone, Im just looking for ammo to get the price down. I think that $18,900 is a little high. I feel that $17,000 would be a fair price.
I wouldn't say as a rule that the NAPA sticker means anything at all. In fact I would consider it a negative.If the 1900 means that much to you, you are looking at the wrong car. Figure out the time you will own it say 5 years, thats only a bit less than 400 per year which is nothing. A good dealer service will cost lots more than that. Remember you are buying a car that cost new in excess of 60 grand. maint costs are a factor of the 60 grand. from the way you are talking, I believe that you can't really afford to own this car.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:26 PM

SLK230 (tentatively own)
Thanks for the replies.

I took it to a friends shop today. The car has been in a front end collision. The hood is not installed quite right, the hood has been straightened, the bumper and headlights have been replaced, the plastic grill is cracked on the very top under the hood, and there are some braces both under the hood and under the front end that have been replaced.

Both front fenders have crumples on the inside seam. The wear bars are showing on the rear tires. There is minor body/exhaust rattling.

I wont go higher than $16k for this car now. Should I even bother with this car?
Old 01-22-2006, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Walk, No RUN away