Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

190e horrible stalling/check engine light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 190e horrible stalling/check engine light

Allright, i own a 1989 190e 2.6. Ever since i purchased it, it has had a big problem with it's idling and the check engine light. It happens most often when the car is cold, but sometimes when i have been driving it for quite a while.

When the engine is completely cold, when i start it, it will have a horrible idle and the check engine light will come on. If i give the engine any gas at all, it will stumble, or even stall as if it isnt getting enough gas. The only way to get around this is to wait for the car to warm up.

Once i have managed to get the car out of my driveway the check engine light starts coming on intermittenly making the car surge forward. Sometimes the light comes on, and the car does the complete opposite - stalls. It only stalls when i am running at a low RPM such as sitting at a stop light or turning.

By the time the car gets warm, it runs decently, most of the time without stalling. But - at any given moment, the check engine light may come on, and the car will surge.

I am almost completely comfident that the problem is related to furl managment, but i dont know where to start.

I am horribly desperate at this point, and am soon going to take it in if i am not able to figure this out. With my luck, I will be paying the mwechanic 100 dollars an hour, and the car will behave just fine.

I have found similar issues on the board, but nobody seems to have their "check engine light" come on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The stalling of this car has nearly killed me seve3ral times, and i need to fix it.

Thank you.
Ben C
Old 08-30-2002, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
Exclamation

This behaviour could have many reasons. But in general its has to do with the preparation of the air/gas mixture in the intakes. What you could try to get closer to the cause is, take the air filter off, run the engine to normal temperature and then spray starter fluid (its highly ignitable alcohol, get it in an auto part place) on the hoses, the manifold, the injectors, underneath the airfilter flange (one location by one). When ever you notice the idle speed goes up when you spray it seems there is a leak in the hose, the injector valve seals, etc. The only time the idle shall go up is if you spray into the air intake.
Did anyone check the generator controller (attached to the generator)?
If it would not be this, then you might have to see a mechanic, since then it goes towards the complex motor and fuel management components, and there too many to describe them in that forum.