Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long does the original key battery last?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 04:54 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 S500
How long does the original key battery last?

Our S500 is now 2 years old and the Keyless Go remote seems weak in one key but strong in the other.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by sprink49
Our S500 is now 2 years old and the Keyless Go remote seems weak in one key but strong in the other.
I have never had to replace one. Had my 98 ML 39 months, my 02 ML500 4 years, my 01 E 320 over 4 years. The vehicles I now have are less than a year old so not even to be considered. Not a big deal to replace though. The key will perform all but the remote functions with a dead battery.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
I've had my car for 6 years and I'm still on the original battery. Keyless Go might have a shorter life span?
Old 02-25-2006, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Had similar experience with 3 yr old keys. Just kept swapping for the stronger one (and re-mating for the seat positions, etc). If you have a battery replaced (even for just one), however, the dealer will need all of your electronic keys.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Skylaw
Had similar experience with 3 yr old keys. Just kept swapping for the stronger one (and re-mating for the seat positions, etc). If you have a battery replaced (even for just one), however, the dealer will need all of your electronic keys.
Do not believe that is correct. The dealer will need only the key with the battery to be replaced.If it needs to be resynched you can do that yourself. The key battery has nothing to do with the actual starting of the vehicle and powers only the remote functions.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500/W220/2000
I've had my two keys for nearly six years and they both work just like new (knock on wood). How does one "re-mate" a key?

Last edited by Jayhawk; 02-25-2006 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jayhawk
I've had my two keys for nearly six years and they both work just like new (knock on wood). How does one "re-mate" a key?
I think you mean resynch the key. If the remote functions do not work there is a proceedure spelled out in the manuals for re synchronizing the key functions (lock/unlock, alarm, etc.). I do not actually know the proceedure as I have never had to do it. Check your manual
Old 02-25-2006, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by sosh
I think you mean resynch the key. If the remote functions do not work there is a proceedure spelled out in the manuals for re synchronizing the key functions (lock/unlock, alarm, etc.). I do not actually know the proceedure as I have never had to do it. Check your manual
Of course I meant "resynch!" Just didn't know how to spell it. My bad...

Will begin the review of my library of several owner's manuals in the morning. It shouldn't take more than a week of study.

Thanks for the all of the help and kind words...
Old 02-26-2006, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Of course I meant "resynch!" Just didn't know how to spell it. My bad...

Will begin the review of my library of several owner's manuals in the morning. It shouldn't take more than a week of study.

Thanks for the all of the help and kind words...
When I wrote remate originally, I indeed meant re-synch, to set mirrors, seat positions, etc. Procedure is in the manual, and though it is simple, I have to look it up every time (I don't do it often).

C'mon Jayhawk - you're an academician - a little research can't be all that daunting! - Oh, I forgot - it's the Mercedes owner's manuals. Strike that!

But there's an online owner's manual at http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/e/cars...mdetail15.html that should help. Even if it's for the right-hand drive version of the '07 S-class (it was recently updated).

You can access an owner's manual for your car in .pdf format at http://www.mbusa.com/sitemap.do if you're registered with MBUSA; at least the .pdf is searchable. Now, if we could just remember the exact term they used....

I believe the procedure entails enabling the "Key-dependent" feature on your instrument cluster MFD (you may already have done that, but check it) - then inserting the key you want to "mate" (synchronize) - and calling up the seat/mirror memory settings you want to "mate" with that key. To do that, press "memory" on your door control, then within 3 seconds, press the memorized position number you want stored with that key.

One of the nicer features is that you can also set your passenger side mirror to tilt downward for assistance backing up, when the car is placed in reverse; and that setting is also retained for different drivers.

To carry the discussion a bit further - your keys are also coded for your specific car, and when the batteries in the keys require replacement, the dealer must have all electronic keys to re-code them for your car. Then you get to re-synch them!

Last edited by Skylaw; 02-26-2006 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by Skylaw
When I wrote remate originally, I indeed meant re-synch, to set mirrors, seat positions, etc. Procedure is in the manual, and though it is simple, I have to look it up every time (I don't do it often).

C'mon Jayhawk - you're an academician - a little research can't be all that daunting! - Oh, I forgot - it's the Mercedes owner's manuals. Strike that!

But there's an online owner's manual at http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/e/cars...mdetail15.html that should help. Even if it's for the right-hand drive version of the '07 S-class (it was recently updated).

You can access an owner's manual for your car in .pdf format at http://www.mbusa.com/sitemap.do if you're registered with MBUSA; at least the .pdf is searchable. Now, if we could just remember the exact term they used....

I believe the procedure entails enabling the "Key-dependent" feature on your instrument cluster MFD (you may already have done that, but check it) - then inserting the key you want to "mate" (synchronize) - and calling up the seat/mirror memory settings you want to "mate" with that key. To do that, press "memory" on your door control, then within 3 seconds, press the memorized position number you want stored with that key.

One of the nicer features is that you can also set your passenger side mirror to tilt downward for assistance backing up, when the car is placed in reverse; and that setting is also retained for different drivers.

To carry the discussion a bit further - your keys are also coded for your specific car, and when the batteries in the keys require replacement, the dealer must have all electronic keys to re-code them for your car. Then you get to re-synch them!
Thanks Skylaw! Who needs an owners manual w/ you around?

I don't really need to re-synch my keys, I was just curious about the procedure in case I ever do. My coment was intended as a cheap-shot at the other guy's terse remarks to me. :=)

Thanks again
Old 02-27-2006, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Skylaw! Who needs an owners manual w/ you around?

I don't really need to re-synch my keys, I was just curious about the procedure in case I ever do. My coment was intended as a cheap-shot at the other guy's terse remarks to me. :=)

Thanks again
I know, Jayhawk, I know. But it was fun to pull your chain. Plus, a chance to locate those electronic manuals, download the ones for my car (so I don't have to run down to the parking garage 3 stories below to reference it), and put them into my bookmarks foir future use in answering questions.