Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!! Instrument Cluster Issues..Dead Needles. Have read related post no answers!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 04:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lincoln Navigator 2005 white;1998 Navigator-03 Front conversion;1996 c220 white;1996Towncar White
Arrow Help!!! Instrument Cluster Issues..Dead Needles. Have read related post no answers!!!

Ok I recently bought a 1996 C220 with 11900 miles on it, top shape great price. The a friend of mine ownes a dealership and it was on his preowned lot he gave me 2000 off of the price because he does not mess with benz but he knows I do and he called me up, so I got it Dirt Cheap but the problem is that the cluster does not work.
The Mileage the clock and temp work fine... All of the warning lights come on at start, but all of the guages are dead!!! Even the orange light that tells me im out of gas shines. The tach needle kind of shakes a little bit all of the time but it thats it. I had a 1994 740il before and I had a simular issue pulled the cluster changed a Very small fuse and it worked fine. Does this cluster have a fuse in it? I think its getting some power to the needles other wise the tach wouldnt be moving. My bud I bought it from said it worked fine at first then stopped and would "just come on" at random times then stopped but he only drove it a week then it set up 5 months..Its a 3rd car for me but ive been driving it the past 3 weeks and it hasn't came to life yet! :-( The battery is a big one brand new but not original MBZ, but the Oriley computer reccomended this one...some post I have read said that the battery has to be just right voltage put out? im stumped I love this little car and want to keep it but i need to work out a few issues first. ANY IDEAS??? I would Greatly appreciate...This weekend I plan to remove the Bag and wheel and test the connections with test light. It seems to be a grounding issue? does anyone have a wiring diagram for this year model or know where i can get one just for the cluster? I have checked the fuses underthe hood also....Tnks in advance This isnt my first Mbz but ive learned too hate them but its been 2 years since a benz headache so it was time !!!! J
I miss my 91 350SDL 126 :-(
Old 10-02-2010, 09:42 PM

1996 c220
I have a 1996 C220 and mine is doing the same thing, I'm in the fifth year of owning mine and early last year it started coming on and off and now its doing the same as yours and the dealer wants $1100.00 to replace mine plus the core, if you find out anything please let me know, like wise if I find out anything I'll let you know.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:17 PM

hi there.
open the instrument clusture glass and clean all the stop point for the needles.
then every thing will work it is huppend because it is stuck there nothing wrong with the icm.

welcome
Old 10-25-2010, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
That's pretty cool if it works!