Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm amazed none of the tech's...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 09:29 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by MBTech21
First I wanted to point out, actually it does take a lot, we are not all 25 years old (it's actually almost impossible to be Master at 25 by the way). Of the roughly 200 Master Guild techs in the country, which is the real top title, very few of them/us are under 40, and very few are arrogant or pompous...now that I have that off my chest. Here is your answer..

The buzzing was coming from the compressor control valve, the 209 uses a variable displacement compressor, so it was trying to keep up with the demands of the ACC. At full displacement, but with low refrigerant- it buzzes, its not from lack of lubrication. When they replace the leaking evaporator and dryer(which takes about 4-5 hrs BTW, but pays more than that- this disclaimer is to stop all --no way, I can do it in 2 hrs, but I paid 8 hrs BS), and fill the system with the replacement oil (can't remember what an evap adds, I want to say 4 ounces), your car will be fine.

Hope this helps...
Thank you. In the interim I did have the freon topped off to the correct level (needed 10 oz's) but the compressor still buzzes when it get's hot; could something be restriciting some freon/oil from the compressor? I put a tube over the compressor to listen for the noise and the closer to the front of the compressor I place the tube the louder I can hear it. I can also smell at light oil odor in the vents after the AC's been on for a while. Would truly appreciate your further input. Thanks

Last edited by RJC; 04-05-2006 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 ML350, 85 300D
Well, two things here-
A- the dryer will be plugged up, it's job is to hold moisture, as any poster mentioned, one drop of water is enough, and you have been leaking for a long time, it sounds like. If refrigerant is getting out, air/moisture is getting in
B- there seems to be a fixation lately amoung techs to this approach to AC leaks- inject dye into the system, fill it up and look for it some other time. I have taken out pieces of systems that literally had dye pouring out of them, so this would also effect flow. Seeing as you are mentioning the smell, it wouldn't suprise me if the inside of your heater box is green (the color of the dye) . Basically, the system is designed for a certain amount of oil, adding dye is exceeding that amount. Once is OK, 6 times..not so much

The control valve is mounted on the compressor on the top, nearest the front
Old 04-07-2006, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
things with and without wheels
If you still have pressure in the system then moisture cant get in there , if the system is empty or it has been opened to atmosphere then you get contamination and moisture .Moisture is introduced into a pressurized system by incorrect testing , servicing or just hooking up gages.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:26 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Question

Thanks Guy's. So what do you think is still causing the buzzing from the compressor now that the freon level is correct? RemeMber this buzzing sound began occuring since the car was a just few months old and last year the compressor was changed but the sound came back shortly after. Also the leak was recently detected with a device that "sniffed" freon coming out of my AC vents.

Thanks

Last edited by RJC; 04-07-2006 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Originally Posted by TECHNICIAN
Don't listen to that retard. He is just an internet mechanic.

The evaporators DO go bad. They DO leak. It has NOTHING to do with its location in the car. Its alot more then $400 labor by the way.

MB evaporator problems go back to the W140 and have gotten better since but they occasionally do leak.
Tech or not, this guy is correct. They do fail. A nameless mfg. actually had a recall on evaps to the tune of 50,000 + units. Why? they actually rotted from the crap being blown over them from outside the vehicle. A 10 oz./yr leak is not a big deal and there is nothing to worry about breathing that small amount of refrigerant. You have already confirmed the leak with the oil smell and loss of refrigerant. As already mentioned, as long as the system isn't flat or restricted to the point that the low side is running in a vacuum, there is no way moisture got in. It's warranty, so give the dealer a shot.

Now, Mr. technician, could you give me any advice on how to get a dealer to acknowledge and fix the stumble or hesitation and the long delay and rough engagement of drive after backing out of my driveway (especially when cold) in my 2006 E55???

Last edited by Fast55; 04-07-2006 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Fast55
Tech or not, this guy is correct. They do fail. A nameless mfg. actually had a recall on evaps to the tune of 50,000 + units. Why? they actually rotted from the crap being blown over them from outside the vehicle. A 10 oz./yr leak is not a big deal and there is nothing to worry about breathing that small amount of refrigerant. You have already confirmed the leak with the oil smell and loss of refrigerant. As already mentioned, as long as the system isn't flat or restricted to the point that the low side is running in a vacuum, there is no way moisture got in. It's warranty, so give the dealer a shot.

Now, Mr. technician, could you give me any advice on how to get a dealer to acknowledge and fix the stumble or hesitation and the long delay and rough engagement of drive after backing out of my driveway (especially when cold) in my 2006 E55???
Did you have it flashed yet?
Old 04-07-2006, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by TECHNICIAN
Its the ignorance of some people around here that pisses me off. There is so much mis-information on this forum its rediculous. Everyone knows everything. You really think just because the evaporator is behind the dash it won't leak? Are you kidding? You think every dealer and every tech is a hack, doesn't know anything, and can't fix anything. Dealerships or "stealerships" as they are called here are all evil and worthless. etc...

Thats fine... I'm done here. I figured I'd sign up and maybe help out a few people in my spare time. I take pride in my work and training, and take my job seriously. I make sure to the best of my ability that **** is fixed and fixed right. Some people don't, I don't argue that point. But since everyone here knows everything thats fine......I'm gone.

Good luck with your A/C problem by the way. None of my comments were directed to the original thread starter.
I would have to concur with you,even though I dont post much,I do see the ignorance,and usually get a good laugh at some of the advice..
Old 04-08-2006, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BenzForeman510
Did you have it flashed yet?
I was not aware there was a flash for the '06 available? Are you refering to an aftermarket update or factory? It was sent to Silver Star MB in T.O. for 3 things, in-op Tele-aid, hesitation/rough engagement of drive, and the "stumble". Only the Tele-aid problem as fixed, and that was only because FJ input the subscription info incorrectly. The stumble was "not duplicated" (give me a break here), and the trans was described as "a little slow" but since there were no codes, all is well. The '02 with aftermarket blower was better behaved, as was the transmission at just over 50K miles that certainly wasn't expecting to handle 500 HP. I was told by the SA at Silver Star that they have seen a few under filled with trans fluid which would explain the slow/rough engagement, but that, apparently, was not the case? Now at 750 miles, I'm hoping that FJ will help me during it's first service. It's a drive, but I'll be taking it in around 1500.

Last edited by Fast55; 04-08-2006 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:32 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Question

Originally Posted by BenzForeman510
I would have to concur with you,even though I dont post much,I do see the ignorance,and usually get a good laugh at some of the advice..
Hey BenzForeman, how about shedding some light on my AC issue. The compressor sounds like a buzzing neon sign most of the time. You can reference more info from the start of my thread. Here's the last post from above and thanks in advance!

Thanks Guy's. So what do you think is still causing the buzzing from the compressor now that the freon level is correct? Remember this buzzing sound began occuring since the car was a just few months old and last year the compressor was changed but the sound came back shortly after. Also the leak was recently detected with a device that "sniffed" freon coming out of my AC vents. System has always blown cold.

Thanks

Last edited by RJC; 04-08-2006 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not to sound like a smart a$$, but if a compressor fixed it last time, that was your problem then, and it is again.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:37 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Fast55
Not to sound like a smart a$$, but if a compressor fixed it last time, that was your problem then, and it is again.
No offense taken...The new compressor started making noise after a very short time and since a leak has now been detected it is leading some of us to believe that the leak has been causing the compressor(s) to make this dreadful noise. The tech at the dealership who always works on my cars will be out for medical reasons for the next few weeks. If I get the new E55 this will be someone else's issue to deal with; if not I'll have it checked out fully when my tech gets back next month.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
[QUOTE=RJC] If I get the new E55 this will be someone else's issue to deal with QUOTE]

Tough decision, take the time to get it fixed or get a new E55 (I know that's not what you said but it sounds good)
Old 04-11-2006, 11:43 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE=mleskovar]
Originally Posted by RJC
If I get the new E55 this will be someone else's issue to deal with QUOTE]

Tough decision, take the time to get it fixed or get a new E55 (I know that's not what you said but it sounds good)
The 55 is very tempting but I've been waitng for two things; the car to come in from VPC and the confirmation of the lease #'s in writting which I hope to have by today. The CLK 550 is another other option. If the 55 drops out due to the dealer playing games then I'll get the 500 fixed and see how it turns out, if it's perfect I may keep it unless I can get a good deal on a new CLK 550...we'll soon see