Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 ML320 Stalls at idle, won't start for 10 min.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 99 ML320 Stalls at idle, won't start for 10 min.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Help me out folks. I have a '99 ML320 with ~80K miles on it and have kept the maintenance up to date. I don't want to sell it, I really don't but....

We moved to Wisconsin from Texas back in November of '05 and the car started to stall when it idles, but it only happens about 1/month or so. Back in Texas I do remember that the engine would occasionally falter at idle but it never died. I thought it might be related to the cold weather but the problem continues to occur now that it's in the 50's here in Wisconsin.

When it does stall it will not start for anywhere from 1 to 20 minutes. Turning the key results in the engine turning over, and over, and over until you have to shut the ignition off completely to get it to stop.

I've had one dealer and one private shop each spend many hours try to get it fixed but to no avail. They have replaced the key, the key switch, numerous sensors but nothing makes a difference. There are no codes displayed by the vehicle.

Help me, help me......

Thanks,
Ski
Old 04-07-2006, 05:43 AM

05 ML350, 85 300D
I would have to suggest the crankshaft position sensor (unless thats one of the ones they changed already)- they display exactly those syptoms and are quite common
Old 04-07-2006, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Skibumtx
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Help me out folks. I have a '99 ML320 with ~80K miles on it and have kept the maintenance up to date. I don't want to sell it, I really don't but....

We moved to Wisconsin from Texas back in November of '05 and the car started to stall when it idles, but it only happens about 1/month or so. Back in Texas I do remember that the engine would occasionally falter at idle but it never died. I thought it might be related to the cold weather but the problem continues to occur now that it's in the 50's here in Wisconsin.

When it does stall it will not start for anywhere from 1 to 20 minutes. Turning the key results in the engine turning over, and over, and over until you have to shut the ignition off completely to get it to stop.

I've had one dealer and one private shop each spend many hours try to get it fixed but to no avail. They have replaced the key, the key switch, numerous sensors but nothing makes a difference. There are no codes displayed by the vehicle.

Help me, help me......

Thanks,
Ski
Crank sensor,also make sur eyou get the correct one,theres a few styles,they look alike,except for when you connect it ,it doesnt connect correctly.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:09 AM

Thanks all,

I replaced the crank sensor about a month ago - it took me longer to find it than replace it. The problem has not re-occurred.

Ski
Old 11-02-2013, 09:53 AM

Ml 320
Help me out please my car is on a side street need to get it start. My 99 ml320 stall and won't start. I change the plugs they were in bad shape still the car will not start. Since the car stall suddenly check engine come on what should I check next

Last edited by titoudeinc; 11-02-2013 at 10:02 AM. Reason: forget to ask for help