Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E430 Hood Strut

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2001, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Question E430 Hood Strut

2001 E430: Last night I noticed that when the hood is up, the passenger side hood strut bottoms up completely while the driver's side still has some travel - plenty of travel. I measured the "exposed piston" and it's exactly 4 inches on the pass. side and 4.5 on the driver's side. Of course, the hood is twisted towards the pass. side when open and I am afraid that with time, that strut will get damaged - probably when the warranty is out. Is there an adjustment for this? Are all E series cars like this? Are these different parts? Or do i just have a defective part? I tend to believe the last guess. Please check your's to confirm. Thanks.

Last edited by Darkmann; 12-15-2001 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-15-2001, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
maybe one is mounted farther away?
Old 12-15-2001, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
You're not opening your hood all the way. The hood on all Mercedes' can be raised to a full vertical position. On your E-class, there is a small lever at the bottom of the passenger-side hood hinge. Raise the hood to it's normal 45 degree position, then lower the hood slightly and push in the lever while raising the hood. It's a great feature for technicians.