Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W123 gas to diesel conversion questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W123 gas to diesel conversion questions

I have a 1979 280E with a questionable motor, and I would like to swap the motor out for one that I can run on biodiesel. Does anyone know if an engine from a 240D
or 300D would bolt up to the transmission in the 280E? I found someone who will sell me a 240D motor for $200 with all of the wiring, engine mounts, etc. but not the
rest of the drivetrain. If it will bolt up what additional parts would I need? I figure I could use the existing gas tank, as it already has a return line and just clean it out
well and replace the filler tube with a wider diesel one. Thanks!

Last edited by casioqv; 04-23-2006 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:32 PM

MB's, Alfa's, Landcruiser, & others
Many things to change

This can be done if you have a 4 bolt pan on your transmission. The 4 bolt pan transmission will bolt to the 240D engine, but there are many things to change if you do this. The 123 chassis is built for many engine set ups, but things like moving the transmission foward to the 240D engine, means changing the driveshaft, maybe the front springs, I think the 240D motor is lighter than the 280E. If you have time, money, and money you can get it done. It may be alot more than you wish for though.

good luck,
duetto67
Old 04-25-2006, 01:38 AM

2005 C230K Sport Sedan, 6 speed manual
Anything can be done, given enough time and money. The cost of the conversion will probably exceed the value of the car, if that is a consideration for you. I doubt the fuel tanks are interchangeable. Also don't forget things like gear ratios in the differential, speedometer conversions, exhaust systems and mountings, etc. There are many subtle differences between the diesel and gasoline models.

The W123 is getting to be an old car, and parts are not as easy to find as they once were. Many junkyard parts are long gone.