Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acceleration takes awhile. . .

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2006 | 04:33 AM

'98 C280
Acceleration takes awhile. . .

I drive a 1998 C280, that my dad had gotten me a little over a year ago from eBaymotors. It's always worked fine, until the a/c had stopped working since last summer. . .and quite recently, the gas gauge broke. So I always have to reset the mileage every time I fill up my gas. Unfortunately, my dad has been extremely busy with work that he hasn't had much free time to get it fixed. But, that's besides the point.

I've noticed that every time I accelerate to catch up with traffic upon entering the freeway, it takes quite awhile. I actually have to floor it for a little bit, since there's always like this 3-5 second delay until the car actually catches up. Why is this? Could the fact that my car has automatic transmission play a role in this?

I was just wondering, because my mom's BMW accelerates the second I just slightly press my foot against the gas pedal.
Old 07-05-2006 | 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 E55 AMG
This is definitely not normal. Do you notice anything about the transmission? It it shifting erratically or not smooth?
Maybe it's the MAF sensor...
Old 07-06-2006 | 12:49 PM

'98 C280
Well sometimes I notice that shortly after starting the engine and driving out of my neighborhood, my car will have this weird jolt/thrust forward thing too. Like if I have my right foot pressing on the gas pedal at a constant threshold, it'll have that weird forward thrust.

Perhaps I should just take her in to my local Mercedes Benz dealership and see what they can do?

I don't think my car did this before when I first got it either. :/