Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CEL on & off!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CEL on & off!

I have got a strange phenomenon, my CEL comes but goes off by itself after approximately 50 miles every time. I experienced this 4 or 5 times by now already.

Anybody knows what is happening to my engine?
Old 07-10-2006, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 174 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Same thing happenede to me (CEL cycled on and off for a couple of weeks). Then it stayed on.

Whats happening is that one of your adaptions in the emission system goes out of range.....that's what truns on the CEL. However, then if you go through 3 cycles (i.e. cold starts) with readings that are normal, the CEL turns off.

I believe the codes are still there...so go to Auto Zone, Advanced Auto and have the OBDII codes read (this will give you a pretty good idea of part of the system is marginal and probably to fail soon).
Old 07-12-2006, 12:02 PM

Just had it checked at dealer, apparently my engine are experiencing some fuel adaptation problem - over rich / lean at times. But the workshop are unable to advise what has 'broken' at the moment. :S

Originally Posted by Serndipity
Same thing happenede to me (CEL cycled on and off for a couple of weeks). Then it stayed on.

Whats happening is that one of your adaptions in the emission system goes out of range.....that's what truns on the CEL. However, then if you go through 3 cycles (i.e. cold starts) with readings that are normal, the CEL turns off.

I believe the codes are still there...so go to Auto Zone, Advanced Auto and have the OBDII codes read (this will give you a pretty good idea of part of the system is marginal and probably to fail soon).
Old 07-12-2006, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
o2 sensors ?
Old 07-12-2006, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 174 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
If the dealer could not read any codes, it sounds like the OBDII codes don't show until the CEL stays on.

As I said before....my CEL kept going off and on for maybe a month. Then it finally stayed on and I found P0170 and P0173 codes (usually mass air flow sensor, vacuum leak or low fuel pressure).

Dealer wanted $120 to read the codes. AutoZone or Advanced Auto will read and tell you the codes at no charge.

Was able to buy a new part on-line for half the price the dealer wanted and install it in less than 10 minutes with just a screw driver.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:10 AM

The dealer did not charge me for just reading codes.

Yes, they are suspecting a vacuum leak but they have reservations becoz I am not getting rough idling at the moment.

Old 07-14-2006, 01:13 PM
ijs

CL203
Most probably a vacuum leak. Its a common problem among M271 motors.

Originally Posted by gmabm
The dealer did not charge me for just reading codes.

Yes, they are suspecting a vacuum leak but they have reservations becoz I am not getting rough idling at the moment.

Old 07-14-2006, 03:23 PM

F10
i'm going through this same issue on my car right now and i took it to the dealer, they're replacing one of the heads now, bring that thing in. I'm so glad it's still under warranty, that's probably a couple of grand worth of work.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:15 PM
ijs

CL203
What happened to the head? Your W203 is a Kompressor, rite? Are you using any boost Pulley?

Originally Posted by RedW203
i'm going through this same issue on my car right now and i took it to the dealer, they're replacing one of the heads now, bring that thing in. I'm so glad it's still under warranty, that's probably a couple of grand worth of work.