Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smart Key programing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 Mars Red C230K 6 sp.
Smart Key programing

My dealer ordered me a spare key (they had lost one) and they say that they need to program it to the car. Is that just a simple synchronization or does the StarDiagnosis laptop have to be used? Could I do it myself?
Thanks!!
Old 12-18-2001, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Re: Smart Key programing

Originally posted by RedC230K
My dealer ordered me a spare key (they had lost one) and they say that they need to program it to the car. Is that just a simple synchronization or does the StarDiagnosis laptop have to be used? Could I do it myself?
Thanks!!
Your dealer will have to use the StarDiag computer to sync your key when it is received. The reason for this is that the keys come with no programming in them and must be programmed for your particular vehicle.
Old 12-18-2001, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Not entirely true, Adam. The older style SmartKeys came ready to go, straight out of the package. They were ordered by VIN number, so they were pre-matched to the car. Just within the last few months though, an updated SmartKey became available because of all the problems we have been having with them. When these keys arrive, they come pre-matched to the car as well, but some programming is required. All we need to do is insert the key into the ignition, the cluster will say "Computing data, please wait" It could say this for as long as 4 hours. Then the key will be able to turn to the ignition ON position. Again, the cluster will say "Computing data, please wait" After another hour or so, the car will be able to start. The only time we use the StarDiag for any key replacement is to block the key that is being replaced, so it won't fall into the wrong hands. Well, I shouldn't say "any". The StarDiag is required for new ML keys as well, but those aren't SmartKeys.
Old 12-18-2001, 11:49 PM

'04 Mars Red C230K 6 sp.
mbtech,
My C230K Coupe was built 10/01. They ordered the key earlier this month and it just came in.
Can I just have them mail the key to me and do the synching myself? My dealer is 50 miles away - so I try to minimize the trips I make there.
Thanks for all of your input on this board. I'm fairly technically-oriented and appreciate all that I have learned.
Old 12-19-2001, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
If your dealer is willing to mail you the key (which I doubt), then yes, you could do it yourself. They'll most likely want you to come in though. I'm originally from Illinois, what city do you live in, and what dealer do you go to for service?
Old 12-19-2001, 12:12 AM

'04 Mars Red C230K 6 sp.
I live in Pekin - and used to work as a MB sales consultant at Midtown Imports in Pekin. I still have good relations with the folks there, but Suds in Bloomington-Normal treated me much better and got me a car (by dealer trade) in four days when Midtown had yanked me around for four months and still had no prospects of getting a car for me!
Old 12-19-2001, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Post c coupe key

I just got a extra key for my wifes new c coupe (took a couple of days) and the key was PROGRAMED IT WORKED!!!I DID NOT HAVE TO PROGRAM THE SPARE KEY
Old 12-19-2001, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
That's the strange thing, and I can't explain it. With the new keys, some of them work right out of the package, some (most) have to be inserted in the ignition for up to 5 hours while the info downloads, and some of them STILL don't work, even brand-new from the dealer.
Old 12-19-2001, 09:00 AM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
Up to 5 hours?

Private-Key encryption takes minutes at its longest (that's with a slow processor). My guess is that the pause is intentional to discourage thieves. Who would sit in a car they want to steal, with a new ordered key for that vin, waiting 5 hours for it to register?

Rick
Old 12-27-2001, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by Flashman
Up to 5 hours?

Private-Key encryption takes minutes at its longest (that's with a slow processor). My guess is that the pause is intentional to discourage thieves. Who would sit in a car they want to steal, with a new ordered key for that vin, waiting 5 hours for it to register?

Rick
Hmm.. What if they use more than one encrypted key pair and alternate them for enhanced security (say, 50)? That would make 4-5 hours a fairly reasonable time...

But even if not, I would second Rick's guess about theft deterring time interval... Makes perfect sense.

Last edited by vadim; 12-27-2001 at 12:27 AM.
Old 12-27-2001, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
They're not all 5 hours long. I just did one today on a '98 C230 that took an hour to download the key.
Old 12-29-2001, 03:43 AM

2002 C32 AMG
Talking

I picked up my spare key for my 2002 C32 yesterday. The guy in the parts department told me I need to bring my car in and they have to use the hand-held programmer to program the key. Then I called the service department when I got home and they told me that I have to put the key in the ignition and leave it there for up to four hours. When I finally went into the garage and put the key in the ignition I didn't get no message in the cluster idicating that the programming had begun so I turned the key and she started right up. I then turned it off and got out and pressed the button to lock the doors and it worked so I went back in the house and told my wife " that was a quick four hours".
Old 12-29-2001, 09:53 PM

'04 Mars Red C230K 6 sp.
It worked right out of the package!! But it was a Huf and the other one was a "C" or "E" brand. They are slightly different in appearance/manufacture.
Those jerks! All because the dealer "lost" one!
Old 12-29-2001, 11:01 PM

2002 C32 AMG
My original key (the one they didn't lose) says "huf" too as well as the new one. I guess the "huf" ones are the newer keys.
Old 03-13-2002, 11:23 PM

Unhappy STOLEN OR LOST SPARE KEY

Hi all, I need help. My purse got stolen or lost along with my driver's license which has my address and everything along with my spare key!!! I'm wondering if there is something that can be done so the old spare key doesn't work. We don't have a garage of our own so I am a little concerned. Please help. I have
2000 CLK 320. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2002, 10:51 PM

new keys....

I bought a 2001 C 240, only had one key. Used car dealer ordered an extra one...picked it up, put it in the ignition...nothing. I was later advised that it had to be programmed.

When I took it to the dealer, he asked if I had tried the key...I said yes (nobody told me anything about it needing to be programmed), he said that I had to order another one because by trying it, unprogrammed, I screwed it up. Is this true? I think I have been given horrible information on other subjects by this mechanic (see my posts on the gps or sun shade) though he is from a reputable dealer in the DC area...has anybody heard of this?
Old 04-11-2002, 04:40 PM

When a "smart key" - in Europe it is called a FBS3-key(fahrberechtigungssystem, 3rd generation) - needs to be ordered there are two possibilities. If you want an additional key (e.g. a fourth if you have three) than it must be ordered that way. An additional key works always immediately without programming. If a key is lost, a replacing key needs to be ordered. A replacing key always needs to be programmed. Because someone who finds your lost key could steal your car, this programming is in fact wiping all not used secret codes for that key that is lost. The time that is needed depends on how many combinations that need to be wiped (takes maximum 90 minutes). While waiting for that ordered key you can let your MB workshop block all codes for that key. For unblocking a special workshop key (green color) is needed.
If a key needs to be programmed and your car is a 220, 215, and so on, the key must not only be programmed to the EZS (electronic ignition switch module, where you put the key into), but also to the WHM (wahlhebelmodul, the device for changing the gears), so it takes twice as much time (maximum 2 times 90 minutes). When using the MB workshop computer you can program EZS and WHM at the same time.
for ordering (replacing) keys, the MB workshop must know which keys are lost. therefore the MB workshop computer is needed.
This is the reason why some workshops always order additional keys. This is pure luck. I you have already ordered additional keys and/or lost some keys it can be that they order the wrong keynumber (all keys have a number) and someone who finds your lost key can still steal your car.