Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lemon law for 7 speed problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lemon law for 7 speed problem?

I was wondering if I should use the lemon law because I have had the same transmission problem 3 times within 8000 miles and they are not fixing it properly.

Our E500 slams into gear and occasionally drops into neutral on acceleration, then slams back into gear. Needless to say, this is quite dangerous if you have to change lanes or similar. The 3 times I've been to service, they only update the software or top off the transmission fluid. Every time, they ask to take our car home, which we let them do twice. They said they replicated the problem, but would like to take the car to their home for the weekend (do they want to joy ride around or what?).

Does this sound like a case? We don't want to do get into legal stuff; if they just fix the damn problem that'd be great, but they can't. They said next time it happens, they'll just replace the whole transmission. I've had enough though.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by lobango
I was wondering if I should use the lemon law because I have had the same transmission problem 3 times within 8000 miles and they are not fixing it properly.

Our E500 slams into gear and occasionally drops into neutral on acceleration, then slams back into gear. Needless to say, this is quite dangerous if you have to change lanes or similar. The 3 times I've been to service, they only update the software or top off the transmission fluid. Every time, they ask to take our car home, which we let them do twice. They said they replicated the problem, but would like to take the car to their home for the weekend (do they want to joy ride around or what?).

Does this sound like a case? We don't want to do get into legal stuff; if they just fix the damn problem that'd be great, but they can't. They said next time it happens, they'll just replace the whole transmission. I've had enough though.
I don't know but when I saw your problem description it reminded me of one service visit on our transmissioin. Under hard acceleration it pulled ok,, then a car pulled over in front of me and I braked hard, the auto tranny went into neurtral and I had to stop, shut the engine off and restart. Only happened once but absoultely not any fun. To be hung in neutral. Jim
Old 08-13-2006, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
I think even when they change the tranny it will still have problems. I wouldnt be happy with a new car and changing trannys already, though.

Up to you really. I think I would push them that you need it to be resolved asap , and when you still have issues with the new tranny, lemon it. But I wouldnt stand for anything if they do another "nothing" fix and force you to inevitably come back in and waste your time.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
I have no patience with a dealer that can't fix a problem within three tries. The lemon law varies from state to state. You'll have to check what is applicable for your state. I'd say go ahead and lemon the car. I believe they have to buy the car back (full price?). Get another car and let them fix the old one on THEIR time.

On a bigger note, this would hopefully force the manufacturers to stop making cars so goddam complicated. What's the point in building 7-spd transmissions to save gas, if (on average) the money you save eventually goes into repair of the unit? This type of lemon law buyback data reaches corporate levels and would hopefully force the manufacturer to rethink what kind of product they should be putting out there.

Last edited by Kestas; 08-14-2006 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Why not let them drive it for a while. I do with any of my vehicles so that I am certain its been fixed correctly before I take it back. My dealer is glad to do it and I am glad that they do, do it. Give them every opportunity to repair it. And, most likely at this point depending on what State you are in it does not yet qualify for the lemon law. I have had no issues at all with my ML500 in almost the year I have had it.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 c43
tranny issues

advise dealer to observe latest dtb-B1 brake /clutch assy , snap ring is common for coming loose from grooves causing issues per your complaint
Old 08-15-2006, 11:38 AM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
07 GL450, 91 NSX, 12 Prius
Originally Posted by sickc43owner
advise dealer to observe latest dtb-B1 brake /clutch assy , snap ring is common for coming loose from grooves causing issues per your complaint
I doubt they looked into that because they dont want to use the time to drop the transmission.

RE: Lemon law..I'm in California.. I was about an inch close to using an attorney for the lemon law buy back.. Attorney in california advise. 4 attempted repair and or 30 calendar days in shop out of your use .. would give you a good case for lemon law buy back.. Attorney will also get extra punitive damage due to lost time for work and attorneys cost.

At my forth visit for a no-start problem on my W220. I wrote my dealer a written request to buy back the car. They fixed the problem for good on that visit..