Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

grinding sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grinding sound

New noise just started yesterday on the C220. When I turn right and only when I turn right, I hear a grinding sound coming from the left side front wheel or suspension. Any ideas?
Old 08-19-2006, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
My guess....

Wheel bearing...have you checked for loose wheel well plastic as well?
Old 08-21-2006, 07:50 AM

grinding sound

could be a wheel bearing but would that only make noise when i turn right? I would figure the bearing would make noise whenever the wheel was turning. The tire does not appear to be hitting anything to cause the noise and it definately sounds like metal on metal. So the bearing is a good choice if it could only happen when making a turn.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
[QUOTE=C220benzfan]could be a wheel bearing but would that only make noise when i turn right?QUOTE]
When you turn the 'outside' wheels take the pressure. When you turn right the left wheels are loaded. Jack up the front and rock and turn the wheel to see if you hear or feel anything.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:39 AM

Talking Problem Solved!!!!!

First I want to thank you for the responses. Because without them I would not have discovered this problem myself and saved a ton of money sending it out. I had checked the wheel well plastic and nothing seemed to be touching. I then decided to take the tire off and see if it may be a bearing. When I took the wheel off...low and behold I discovered the problem. A stick had somehow become lodged in the wheel well plastic way in the back which could not be seen with the tire on. Hence the only time it rubbed was when you turned hard right. It was making a terrible sound like metal on metal which was not consistent with a stick rubbing on rubber...but once removed the sound stopped. That was the problem all along. Thanks again!!! These forums are the best.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Barring debris, it will be a ball joint long before it's a wheel bearing.