Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 E320 Pulling to the right

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 05:27 PM
jwc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broke Acura
03 E320 Pulling to the right

Hello,
I bought this e320 right when it came out and it had the dreaded drift to the right. I've brought it in numerous times and it never got fixed. The two dealers I brought it to in Austin and Georgetown have no idea what it is. Can anyone help? Thanks
Old 09-22-2006, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 ML 320, 2003 CBR600F4i, 99 Eclipse GSX
I obviously would have to drive the car.. but 99% of roads in America are built with road crown. Mercedes have more caster than most and will tend to follow the road more than other makes. It is entirely possible that there is absolutely nothing wrong with your vehilce.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 ML350, 85 300D
Originally Posted by MBTECH2003
I obviously would have to drive the car.. but 99% of roads in America are built with road crown. Mercedes have more caster than most and will tend to follow the road more than other makes. It is entirely possible that there is absolutely nothing wrong with your vehilce.
What??? Although that may be the corporate answer- it is completely incorrect- positive caster gives high speed stability, at the expence of low speed shake (hence the steering shock on the pre-rack cars), it has nothing to do with following the road. The low profile, wide tires on some of our new cars will tend to track with road crown, and hence, go both ways, depending on where you are driving. With a constant right pull, the caster variance needs to be pulled out of spec (usually with the left wheel)- usually a degree of caster difference is enough to fix it. The 124s had the same problem and there was actually a red fische saying, don;t worry about caster side to side varience- make the car go straight, up to a degree and and half, if I remember right.
Remember- Green on the alignment machine isn't always right!!