Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'89 230E Rough Idle at Start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool '89 230E Rough Idle at Start

I was pretty excited at being reassigned to Germany, since I always wanted to own a Mercedes. Within a week of arriving here, my wife and I found a sweetheart of a W124 (230E, German specs). While I have been unimpressed with the power from this little 4-banger, it has been a reliable and nice-looking car for the last 2 years. I've alays been suspicious of the tranny, since it seems to top out (at a relatively high RPM) at 150 kph. It almost feels like it should have another gear.

Recently, though, she's been giving me issues (the car, not the wife). In the morning, the car sputters and coughs at startup, and I have to sit and coax her to run for the first 5 or 6 minutes...but once the car has reached operating temp, it gives me no further issues - even if making multiple stops. As Germany is very humid and oft rainy, my first suspect is the distributor cap (it is due a tune-up, which I intend to do in the next couple of days). I don't know if this is the 2.0 or 2.3 motor. Unfortunately, the manual is in German, so I can't glean much from it.

The second issue is a rythmic "ticking" from the rear while in gear and moving. I can hear it, but not "feel" it. It almost sounds like a CV joint, but it isn't always present. I know how to check for CV wear on front axles (the easy way - slow donuts in a parking lot). Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Last - anyone know of a good online parts resource for Euro-spec Mercs?