Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche 997 C2S
Check Engine Light

So I got a check engine light on my W210, and I called my local dealerships to see what it would cost to diagnose the light. Every single one quoted me a price between $95-$110.00 just to plug in a code reader! When asked why the price was so darned high, the service rep said that "It takes us over an hour to get the codes."

When my car was under warranty, I also had a check engine light then, and I saw them read the codes. Take a handheld device, plug it in under the hood, and voila, 30 seconds later he'd figured out the code, and then told me what it was. I'm not necessarily upset with the fact that they're charging nearly $100 for a mere few seconds of work -- equipment investment, etc., may actually make that price necesary. I do, however, object to them stating it takes over an hour to get the code! I've seen them do it before, and it's just insulting.

Afterwards, I called up my local independent Benz shop, hoping they were cheaper. Nope, the independent also wanted $100.00, and his labor rates were identical to my local dealer ... kinda makes you wonder, is it worth owning an MB after the warranty period runs out?
Old 09-17-2002, 09:45 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S320
Here in the Atlanta, GA area Auto Zone and some other Auto Parts Stores will plug in an OBDI/OBDII reader and you can read the codes FOR FREE! You can find what the codes are on the internet on many sites also. They even reset my OBDII memory after I bought an O2 sensor from them and installed it to fix my problem. I've seen OBDII code readers for $139 on the net and ebay.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche 997 C2S
Is MB reliability in bad shape? I finally decided to say "screw it" and go to the dealership to diagnose the code. My experience, however, is really beginning to make me question MB reliability. Dealerships are telling me their first dates are in early November! This is in the NYC Tri-State area, but nevertheless, this is ridiculous. I've told them all I need to do is to have the code diagnosed, literally a five-minute operation, but none of them claim to be able to do it until November.

Our Honda can get service the very next day. Why are MB dealership service centers so booked? Is it because MBs are breaking down at a phenomenal rate? How hard is it to get an appointment in your area?