Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sprung vs Unsprung weight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 05:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 SL63
Sprung vs Unsprung weight

In suspension theory, there are two types of weight to be concerned about. Sprung weight includes all the weight of the car that’s supported by the springs and shocks, including the body, engine, and so on. Unsprung weight refers to anything not supported directly by the springs, such as the wheels and tires, brakes, rearend, and half the weight of the suspension arms, spring, and shocks themselves. Reducing unsprung weight not only lightens the car, it also improves the ride and performance of the suspension by taking some of the weight burden off the shocks and springs, allowing them to react faster and less aggressively to irregularities in the road surface.

I just reduced my unsprung weight 40lbs. 10lbs each wheel... and can tell a big difference in the ride and handling.

Anyone else??
Old 10-30-2006, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB, BMW
good choice there w/ your golf *****!!

you're a wise man to go with lighter wheels to reduce the unsprung weight. did you also go w/ smaller size (from 18" to 16")? that will further enhance ride b/c you have smaller rotational inertia to overcome to start turning the wheels.

also, not only will you get a better ride & handling, but also improved gas mileage, less wear on suspension items, better braking, and better acceleration.

i used to drive a BMW M3, 325i 5sp, and also a E39 540i sport and tried many different wheels. When I got some HEAVY 18inch aftermarket wheels, i could've sworn my Ultimate Driving Machine had turned into an ugly fat turd, and I got rid of the heavy rims in 2 weeks.

but those meaty 275/35/18 tires sure looks sweet.. i have 16"s on my 1997 E420, thought about getting 18" AMG rims but decided not to. goodluck