Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navtech/Navteq system in 2000 ML430

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navtech/Navteq system in 2000 ML430

Hi all,

I have been searching all over for some information on updated Navtech CD's for my 2000 ML430 and haven't gotten very far. I've tried calling Mercedes, Navteq, and even BMW to see if they knew anything about compatibility. For some reason, Navteq stopped making CD's for the Mercedes navigation system. Here are a few questions I hope you can help me with:

- What make and model is the Navigation system in my ML430? The face on it looks like the one seen here: http://www.carstereohelp.com/mercedes.htm (scroll to a little past halfway down the page to where it says Mercedes ML430 Navigation Alpine)

- What are the most up to date CD's available by Navtech designed for this system?

- What is the COMAND system and is it the one I have? I have found discs for this on Ebay but don't know if it will be compatible

- Is there any way the Navtech CD's for a BMW X3/X5 series will work in my system? Navtech does have the 2006 version of these available. The link to these is found here: Navteq.com

I have been searching everywhere and would appreciate greatly any advice, suggestions, and resolutions.

Thanks in advance,
Greg
Old 12-12-2006, 08:09 PM

05 ML350, 85 300D
Pretty simple,, your unit is called an MCS (Command in the cars, MCS in the MLs). Navteq still makes all our discs, so don't know where you heard that.
Not sure the newest version, but your dealer should be able to hook you up with it. No..the Command discs will not work..
Old 12-13-2006, 06:23 PM

I know that Navteq still makes the DVDs for Mercedes navigation systems, but they have told me, along with the dealerships, that the latest CD version is 2004. My car's system can't read DVDs
Old 12-15-2006, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by mcattack86
I know that Navteq still makes the DVDs for Mercedes navigation systems, but they have told me, along with the dealerships, that the latest CD version is 2004. My car's system can't read DVDs
It would seem that both the dealer and navteq have answered your question on the latest update (I would hope they'd continue to provide updated data, but it seems they haven't).

You can answer many of your COMAND questions by referencing Wolfgang's ML page at http://www.whnet.com/4x4/radios.html - your COMAND is an MCS, which differs from COMAND and COMAND APS.

It is very doubtful that CDs made for another system will work with yours, even those that share the NavTeq database.