Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tele Aid Not Operating after 12/31/07

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 G63
Tele Aid Not Operating after 12/31/07

I just received notice that I will need to spend $1,500 to upgrade Tele Aid in my 2005 G55 or it will cease operation at the end of next year! Checking on the MB website, I learned that virtually all '04 and earlier vehicles, as well as some '05 and '06 vehicles, will have the same problem. The reason is an FCC mandate that cellular providers stop analog service in February '08. For me this means at least a $4,500 investment, including my '03 SL55 and '03 S55, plus potentially another $1,500 for my wife's '05 E320!

Here's the worst part, the FCC requirement was first published in its Year 2000 Regularatory Review and specifically in a proposed rule adopted 5/3/01! Bottom line is that auto manufacturers have had 5-years to make changes or, at a minimum, to notify buyers about the potential problem when they purchased their vehicles. Estimates are that 2-million On-Star systems will go dead at the end of next year.

The intended safety benefit of these systems that we've all paid annual subscriptions for will cease without additional significant cost. It appears that the one-time $1,500 fee includes future annual subscription fees for as long as you own the vehicle so there is some return on investment if you keep the vehicle long enough. There is also a $100 or $200 rebate, based on a one or two year subscription, that sees to contradict the no future subscription cost after paying the $1,500.

I wonder what the vehicle warranty covers when Tele Aid ceases to operate while a vehicle is still under warranty? Haven't read the document yet.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBs
This has been discussed on and off for a couple years already. See for example this telematics info page:

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/telematics.html
Old 12-24-2006, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by dharrar
I just received notice that I will need to spend $1,500 to upgrade Tele Aid in my 2005 G55 or it will cease operation at the end of next year! Checking on the MB website, I learned that virtually all '04 and earlier vehicles, as well as some '05 and '06 vehicles, will have the same problem. The reason is an FCC mandate that cellular providers stop analog service in February '08. For me this means at least a $4,500 investment, including my '03 SL55 and '03 S55, plus potentially another $1,500 for my wife's '05 E320!

Here's the worst part, the FCC requirement was first published in its Year 2000 Regularatory Review and specifically in a proposed rule adopted 5/3/01! Bottom line is that auto manufacturers have had 5-years to make changes or, at a minimum, to notify buyers about the potential problem when they purchased their vehicles. Estimates are that 2-million On-Star systems will go dead at the end of next year.

The intended safety benefit of these systems that we've all paid annual subscriptions for will cease without additional significant cost. It appears that the one-time $1,500 fee includes future annual subscription fees for as long as you own the vehicle so there is some return on investment if you keep the vehicle long enough. There is also a $100 or $200 rebate, based on a one or two year subscription, that sees to contradict the no future subscription cost after paying the $1,500.

I wonder what the vehicle warranty covers when Tele Aid ceases to operate while a vehicle is still under warranty? Haven't read the document yet.
Reading the Article, I can see why the systems are not being pushed. There doesn't seem to be much of a market demand for upgrade digital systems. IMO I didn't think it was very useful either.

But as long as you as a customer feel there is some "Safety benefit" from this service, you can update your vehicles if you want. I personally don't think it's worth it.

Truthfully, the benefit and cost for these system is more of a convenience than safety.

Sure it calls the police for you IF you have an accident, and unlocks your car if you need them to.. and tracks your car's where abouts IF it get's stolen.. But most consumer spend more airtime looking for restaurants and getting directions than anything. So ask yourself, Safety what??
The word "safe" used to mean to protect something from a danger or harm.

Airbags are and seat belts are safe that's why they are required by law!!

Tele-Aid and On-Star is convenient That's why it's Not. Don't get it twisted.

Look at the Safety report on the above link and read for yourself the Effects of cars with Tele-Aid versus cars without.

End of Sermon

Last edited by my06clk; 12-24-2006 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
I dropped TelAid after we had an accident. I called them and the first "aid" to answer told me I was in Chicago. I was in Louisiana. They then hung up. I called a second time and it took over 25 minutes to answer. They when I asked why it took so long to answer,, they smart mouthed me with I just called and replied "well your air bag didn't go off" . (We were rearended) I refused to renew . I will never do business with anyone that treats me that way after an accident . So to pay for the upgrade,, never,, my cell phone works. Jim