Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C280 W202 Trasmission vibration when stationary in D

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C280 W202 Trasmission vibration when stationary in D

I have a trio of unexplained vibrations issues with my '97 C280:

1) Vibration when vehicle is stationary and in D (drive), this only happens when the transmission is cold

2) Gentle vibration at highway speeds <50 mph (have replaced one axle shaft, balanced wheels, removed insulation that falls onto front flex joint and checked the prop shaft with no improvement)

3) Intermittent severe vibration at highway speeds. This feels a bit like driving over a cattle grid and typically lasts for 2-3 miles or until you bring speed right down. The frequency of the problem ranges between 20 and 650 miles

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Cheers, matt
Old 01-22-2007, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
My guesses....

Originally Posted by 146matt
I1) Vibration when vehicle is stationary and in D (drive), this only happens when the transmission is cold

2) Gentle vibration at highway speeds <50 mph (have replaced one axle shaft, balanced wheels, removed insulation that falls onto front flex joint and checked the prop shaft with no improvement)

3) Intermittent severe vibration at highway speeds. This feels a bit like driving over a cattle grid and typically lasts for 2-3 miles or until you bring speed right down. The frequency of the problem ranges between 20 and 650 miles
Motor/transmission mounts. Do you feel the vibration in your hands, butt, or both? Or is it just a noise?