Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 E320 CDI-Gas tank sloshing noise

Old 01-31-2007, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 E320 CDI-Gas tank sloshing noise

I have had this car for a couple of months and there is a significant sloshing sound heard in the cabin from the diesel tank. When I come to a stop, there is a loud thumping sound in the cabin from the diesel fuel...particularly on a full tank. I took it to the dealer, they were unaware of that issue and how to correct it. They called Mercedes tech support. According to Mercedes, that sloshing is normal in the diesels. ..I was told the diesel has a different baffle system than a gas model. Anyone else have that issue with their CDI? If it is in fact normal, I am surprised that it never has been mentioned as an annoyance. Thanks for your input...
Old 01-31-2007, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
A friend had an SL that you could hear the gas 'slosh around'. On one of her warranty visits she mentioned it to the SA and they replaced the gas tank with one that was baffled differently and it solved the problem. It was done under a TB (technical bulletin, known problem). Why would a diesel tank be any different than a gasoline tank? Anyone know?
Old 01-31-2007, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 177 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
No reason except possibly for fuel pump connections.

Never notice this problem on ours.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 CDI
I have that. It is when you are tapping the brakes and making a jerk motion. The thump is loud. Almost like something banging hard inside. could the fuel pump bracket got loose/broken?