Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adaptive Auto Transmission 2002 C230

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2001, 03:16 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230K
Adaptive Auto Transmission 2002 C230

I assume that the auto transmission is continuously adapting to my driving characteristics or to whoever drives my car ... is this correct or does it reach some profile and stop adapting ?
Old 12-26-2001, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
230 Automatic Shift Algorithms

The transmission adapts to how you are driving during the last several minutes (exactly how long I am not sure). It seems to default to the "fuel economy" or "grandma" algorithm rather quickly.

I have noticed that if you punch the throttle after some passive cruising, there is a delayed throttle response and delayed engine rev that can be quite dangerous on a freeway on-ramp or during an evasive maneuver. When you ask for power, you should get it immediately, not two seconds later.

You can avoid the above situation by using the throttle more aggressively, or shifting the manumatic yourself every once in a while. It will then stay in the "sport" algorithm for a few minutes and the throttle response delay will be shorter.

A better question for the M-B tech is: Can anybody turn off (bypass) the "grandma" algorithm or the passive profiles (similar to the "sport mode" on a Saab or other import?