Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N Filter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2001, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 ML320 + 1985 AE86
K&N Filter

My service advisor say that I have to remove my K&N filter because it will kill my Air Mass Sensor . Is this a common problem with K&N.

Or is it possible to clean the AMS?

Denis
Old 12-27-2001, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
The K&N SHOULD NOT do any damange to the Mass Aif Sensor, unless you over oil the filters. Here is an excerpt from K&N's page:

Q. : Will a K&N filter cause my vehicle’s mass air sensor to fail?

A. : No. A properly oiled K&N filter will not contaminate a mass air sensor. However, if you over oil your filter it is possible for oil to drip off the filter and contaminate the sensor. In the last few years certain vehicles have had design problems with the mass air sensors. Some local dealers have attempted to blame the problem on a K&N filter, however, of all the sensors we have sent off to be tested we have yet to find one that failed due to oil contamination. The defect in all cases was within the mass air sensor unit. If oil were to contaminate the sensor’s “hot wire”, the wire itself could be cleaned, however if there were a problem with internal circuitry the sensor would have to be replaced.

Old 12-27-2001, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 ML320 + 1985 AE86
Thank you for the peace of mind.

Great! now I don't have to go back to paper filter again. After 4 years of trouble free K&N filter on both E420 and ML320, I don't think i can give it up.