Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screwy shifter action / Limp mode? '01 ML430

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 Cooper S (I drive everything)
Screwy shifter action / Limp mode? '01 ML430

I posted this in the ML forum, but thought I might get more response here.

It's been a week now, so it doesn't appear that letting things dry out is going to cure the problem . . .

Here's my original post:

Likely moisture related as I just got the shifter area a bit wet while detailing the interior. It now stays in first gear only when I get it in drive. No gear indicator on dashboard instrument cluster anymore. When going from D to P, it goes to Neutral and then is stuck there until I release the brake pedal and then it will to to R and P. Kind of the reverse of how it should be as the vehicle should normally require the brake to be engaged to go from N to R (and P). Check engine light is also on. Code scanner gave me a number I forget what it is but basically vehicle does not recognize what gear it's in P-R-N-D, which doesn't surprise me as that is where the problem is. I'm hoping this will just dry out and be fine. Any chance of that, or is it going to go deep into my wallet to find it's happy place? I took it all apart and blew everything out with compressed air. No change. I disconnected the battery and will give it a shot tomorrow morning.
If anyone has any advice or comments they would be greatly appreciated. The interior looks just fantastic BTW

Gar

biggar@***.net
Old 02-06-2007, 11:51 AM

BTW, if anyone just knows what part I likely need to replace, please just let me know that and the best (least expensive) place to get it.

Thanks for the look.

Gar

biggar@***.net
(760) 497-1015
Old 02-06-2007, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear any codes in the shifter control module, disconnecting the battery will not clear codes in a MB. You will need a scanner that can clear code in the shifter control module, which is part of the shifter. if you still have the same codes you will need a shifter control module.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:18 PM

Will a regular OBD2 scanner clear this code? If so, I'll run by Autozone and clear it. If I can't clear the code, or it just doesn't clear, where is the least expensive place to find a shift control module?

Thanks again for the reply.

Gar
Old 02-07-2007, 12:35 AM
Almost a Member!

99 civic EK hatchback
if you say you spilled fluid onto your shifter module it's probably gone to crap already so you are probably gonna have to replace the whole unit. as far as clearing codes with a generic scanner from autozone, thats a not gonna work. sorry buddy, gonna need the star or something similar to it.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:20 AM

Grrrrrrrrrrr

Thanks. I didn't spill a ton of anything into it, but I'm sure I got it a bit wet. It worked before I cleaned it, and didn't work when I was done, so I'm pretty sure that was the undoing of it.

Where would I get access to a "Star" unit to clear the code? I'd like to at least clear it and be sure it's dead before I buy a new shifter module.

Thanks again for the replies.

Gar
Old 02-08-2007, 02:05 PM

05 ML350, 85 300D
The dealer or a high end MB shop will hae an SDS(or Star) machine...the only place to buy this is MB, if you need to replace it- they are coded to the car, for theft protection, so unless you have MB parts an a SDS machine..its impossible, I would think.
Try a hairdryer around the shifter area..you might get lucky..
Old 02-08-2007, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by MBTech21
The dealer or a high end MB shop will hae an SDS(or Star) machine...the only place to buy this is MB, if you need to replace it- they are coded to the car, for theft protection, so unless you have MB parts an a SDS machine..its impossible, I would think.
Try a hairdryer around the shifter area..you might get lucky..
I'm going to take it in to the dealer tomorrow and have them clear the code. They're not going to charge me anything as I bring so many client cars in to them for service and repairs. If the problem is still there, I'll know for sure that I need a new shifter module. I've seen a lot of them for sale on eBay for much less than what I would have to pay the dealer, even at wholesale. They are being offered up by parts sellers with very high feedback ratings. If I do end up buying a new one, is it pretty much just plug and play, or is there some more programming needed once I get it installed? It's no problem for me to do the switch mechanically.

Thanks again for the replies.

Gar