Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine code #507

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 11:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lexus
Check engine code #507

I have an 06 CLS 55, check engine came on today code #507.

I looked it up, says idle higher than it should be. Alldata said probably is a problem with the App sensor(accelerator pedal position) or the Throttle body.

I used my scanner to watch what the APP sensor was doing. It starts at 2% and goes only to 94% at full throttle and this all happens in only at half throttle. It never hits 100% or goes to 0%. I guess this is why the idle is a little high b/c it thinks its at 2percent and gives more fuel.

Do you(mbtechs on this board) think the app is faulty?

If so, can you help me with the next step?

When I take this to the dealer, how can I mention this so that it will be taken care of in a timely fashion. I don't want the car there for 2 weeks while they try to diagnose it. They also don't like it when you tell them what to replace, so I've noticed with the intercooler pump issue I had.

Thanks,
Scott
06 CLS 55
Old 03-12-2007, 12:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 C250
For what it's worth I've noticed the throttle Pos. sensor reading on some other cars never gets to 0 or 100%. This is with an OBD2 package hooked up to a laptop going for a 'test drive'. Not sure about the 1/2 throttle readings you mentioned that seem to indicate higher.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:42 AM

Lexus
yes I agree, lots of throtte position sensor cars dont go to 100 or stop at 0%. But the Throttle pos sensors are mounted on the throttle body itself and if the stop is at 2% that is where it will stop and also the linkage may not go to allow the throttle to open 100 percent.

Now the APP is different because it has no stop and is not limited by linkage.(maybe a floormat ) If an app sends out 94 percent the throttle body will only open to 94%. The throttle body sensor does not actually control the throttle body butterfly and the APP sensor does.

I think my app sensor is going out of range. Starts at 2% and at half throttle it is t 94% and stays there all the way to full pedal to the floor. Funny, it has sprint booster built in!

Last edited by ScottCLS55; 03-12-2007 at 12:44 AM.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cheaper than a benz...
When I take this to the dealer, how can I mention this so that it will be taken care of in a timely fashion. I don't want the car there for 2 weeks while they try to diagnose it. They also don't like it when you tell them what to replace, so I've noticed with the intercooler pump issue I had.

your car is still under warranty....i dont see why you are messing around with the car trying to diagnose it..

as a tech.....i'll be honest with you...people just dont really understand the complexity of a mercedes....no offense..

we dont like it when someone tells us what they think is wrong...simply because it creates a bigger problem than what there actually is...the customer sees the problem in one way and the tech another way..

we are sent off to training and constantly trying to keep up with the changing technology....you take your car to us because thats what we get paid to do..and we know what we are doing

there are bulletins and test proceedures which we have to follow to fix the car..

maybe the problem you have could be corrected by a bulletin, programming etc.....hopefully you get my point

im sorry if the dealer keeps your car for 2 weeks....thats kinda crazy if they do...the longest i have had to keep a car at a dealer was over 1 month and that was that the part was not availible yet, the car was driveable, but the customer refused to take the car, we made an effort to tell them

what was the issue you had with the intercooler pump? im curious to hear that one
Old 03-13-2007, 01:42 AM

Lexus
intercooler pump

What was my issue with the intercooler pump? Same as the issue with my APP sensor.

It's broke, I would like it fixed in a timely fashion. I don't want my car ragged down the street by someone else, to diagnose it. If they would pay for the part I would gladly put the part on. I went in and told them the complaint about supercharger cutting off. They had never heard of that happening and they did not have a pump in stock. So I was without my car all day for them to diagnose what a TSB plainly states. I use the service manuals on alldata which are (partial)copies of MB's book, they have the same flow chart that the tech will look at. If I tell them they can test the resistance in the app sensor instead of looking elsewhere all day long. I just like to give the tech's a starting place, and let them know the problem I am having.

The reason I asked how to state this is because the last time I told them everything about the intercooler and how many have failed and they still acted like you. "You are to stupid to diagnose this car, only the Mercedes University grads are smart enought to work on and diagnose a Mercedes" attitude.
They really are not that complicated.

I asked for some help and all you did is talk some bs about mb users not knowing how to work on our cars. This is a mb enthusiast(spell check please) web site and instead of helping someone and giving your idea on the problem you simply say just let the dealer fix it.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cheaper than a benz...
willi...you have a big head and ego on your shoulders...
there's more to MB cars than what you think...
after reading some of your past posts and suggestions,
i would suggest taking it to me...who is a factory trained tech to work on the car..rather than them take your hack methods of fixing a car....
most of that all data you come across is partial information...we can get our hands on more info than you can.

i ought to let you have a stab at fixing some of our real problem cars...since you think you can fix the car...i'd like to see how long you can last until you give up.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:22 AM

Lexus
Back from dealer, imagine this, I said nothing as fix benz said. 2 days of diagnosis, I have a new gas pedal (app sensor) and a new evap emmissions canister.
My car gained power and I feel it is at the correct power level now. It idles way lower and smoother now.

If I would have mentioned the app sensor do you think diagnosis time would have been 2 days??

Next time I don't care who I **** off, I'm gonna tell them what I think the problem is.