Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump relays

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pump relays

I've got a 1984 Mercedes 230C with a 2.3 litre gas engine I think 102 type.

I bought it two years ago, and it has run well till this last month when it began to have starting problems. Did a lot of the simple things before I got on the internet and searched the archives for information since nothing was working.

Appears to match the symptoms of the FUEL PUMP RELAY working intermittantly.

The question I'm asking is... will the fuel pump relay from other mercedes models with the same engine like the 190E be interchangable???

My relay #001 545 67 05
190E #001 545 78 05 both are for 1984 2.3 litre gas engines with little or no emmision controls.

If I took a chance and bought one from the wrecker for $20 would it work???

The dealer can order one from Germany for $314 to get the numbers to match but I'm a bit shy to pay that much without knowing exactly what is wrong.

I've polished up the contacts on the actual relays but there's a heck of a lot of other electronics in the unit. It seems to have done the trick for awhile maybe???

Trev
Old 03-15-2007, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I doubt it will work simply because the 190E 2.3 was fuel injected (hence, E) if you had a 230CE, or 230 E, it would be the same. But if you have a 230C, it is a carbureted engine, so it will probably be different.

Last edited by Untertürkheim; 03-15-2007 at 02:15 AM.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:52 AM

Fuel pump relays

I guess my car is a 230CE then because it is the fuel injected engine.

I'm not up to speed on what all these different numbers are for what appears to be the same car on the outside. I've got a "Haynes" mannual for the 190E because it had the same type of engine. The other 123 style cars manuals all had different engines.

This and my other car are both 20(+) years old so I don't mind doing the wrenching on them and with the internet help it really extends the ability to troubleshoot from the experience and knowledge of so many.

Trev
Old 03-15-2007, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 133 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Just a guess.......

I've never worked on one but I've read that the transmission neutral switch can cause that kind of problem.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mleskovar
I've never worked on one but I've read that the transmission neutral switch can cause that kind of problem.
Well, that depends on exactly what the problem is. We know the car does not start, but we do not know what it does. If the engine turns (starter activates) then it is not the neutral safety switch, when mine went bad, nothing happened when I turned the key. Then again, this was on a 1992 300E, although I doubt it's different.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:15 PM

Fuel pump relays

Mine has that intermittant problem of working fine for numerous startups then all of a sudden nothing on the next. The engine will crank, it might give the odd pop/back fire but seems pretty lifeless. It will do this while you try a couple times more. Walk away for 20 minutes (like its flooded by now too)and then it will start like it should. My daughter always says it happens when its pouring rain out, but I have had it happen a number of times when the car has been running warm and dry out.

It fits with burned contacts in the two relays actually in the unit but can't be positive since there is a bunch of other electronics in there controlling or sensing four or five different things like crank position, temp,fuel pump, heater, cold start injector and maybe more.

Did some more looking today and came up with one for $200. So will see how long my points polishing lasts but will have to put down some cash if it keeps acting up, and hope its the right fix for the problem.

Thanks for the help.

Trev