Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Howto - Reprogram Smart Key

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GL450
Howto - Reprogram Smart Key

Hello All,

I just bought a spare key off eBay for my 2000 S430. My local dealer says it cannot be reprogrammed - I find that hard to believe.

Is this something that I can do myself? Also, has anyone gotten a Smart Key off another car reprogrammed by a dealer. If so, can you please pass on the name and location off that dealer.

Thanks....

Regards,
Vikram
Old 09-27-2002, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Do a search for this topic. It was discussed in detail a whole back. If the key had already been programmed once, its done. You can't reprogram it.
Old 09-27-2002, 09:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
More art than science

I have found out that the smart key programming thing is more art than science. Some new keys come programmed (your vin is used as info at time of purchase), some the dealer has to program and some come programmed for a specific vehicle. I will ask my SA tomorrow. As strange as that may be, it is possible that it's not reprogrammable for security reasons. Actually, if i was MB, I'd make them that way - i.e., if you want a key, get a autheticated one only from MB. That only makes sense since the smartkey is the ONLY WAY TO THE HEART of the E class.
Old 09-28-2002, 06:22 AM

Re: More art than science

Originally posted by Darkmann
I have found out that the smart key programming thing is more art than science. Some new keys come programmed (your vin is used as info at time of purchase), some the dealer has to program and some come programmed for a specific vehicle...
Originally posted by patrick
When a "smart key" - in Europe it is called a FBS3-key(fahrberechtigungssystem, 3rd generation) - needs to be ordered there are two possibilities. If you want an additional key (e.g. a fourth if you have three) than it must be ordered that way. An additional key works always immediately without programming. If a key is lost, a replacing key needs to be ordered. A replacing key always needs to be programmed. Because someone who finds your lost key could steal your car, this programming is in fact wiping all not used secret codes for that key that is lost. The time that is needed depends on how many combinations that need to be wiped (takes maximum 90 minutes). While waiting for that ordered key you can let your MB workshop block all codes for that key. For unblocking a special workshop key (green color) is needed.
If a key needs to be programmed and your car is a 220, 215, and so on, the key must not only be programmed to the EZS (electronic ignition switch module, where you put the key into), but also to the WHM (wahlhebelmodul, the device for changing the gears), so it takes twice as much time (maximum 2 times 90 minutes). When using the MB workshop computer you can program EZS and WHM at the same time.
for ordering (replacing) keys, the MB workshop must know which keys are lost. therefore the MB workshop computer is needed.
This is the reason why some workshops always order additional keys. This is pure luck. I you have already ordered additional keys and/or lost some keys it can be that they order the wrong keynumber (all keys have a number) and someone who finds your lost key can still steal your car.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:08 AM

1993 MERCEDES BENZ 300TE
KEYS ARE NOT REPROGRAMABLE,,THEY HAVE TO BE ORDERED BY VIN #
Old 10-13-2002, 06:58 PM

if you go to your owners manual, it clearly states how to program it.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally posted by nov0798
if you go to your owners manual, it clearly states how to program it.
I think you are thinking of something else. He is talking about how to program a key that was not originally for his car so that it will start his car.