Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service B for W208 4.3L-Need Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 03:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 S55 AMG
Question Service B for W208 4.3L-Need Advice

Hey...I have a 2001 CLK430 and it currently has 74k. I did a Service B on it last year from VA and its due again in 2900 mi, give or take...

My questions:

1. Do I need to change the tranny fluid? Dealer in VA changed a valve solenoid because it was shifting funny. They had to change the fluid back when it was 48000 mi. Currently, when the car is cold/hot, it feels like there's this sticking thing between 1st and 2nd.
Also, they updated my transmission control module back then and currently it feels sluggish. I also drove my car from VA to CA last year and never had the tranny serviced. Need a tech's/member's advice.

2. Do I need to change/flush the coolant fluid? Dealer in VA flushed this back in 2005. Currently the color is clear? I cannot see any traces of that green fluid back when it was still fresh...lol...Dealer said in CA that it's normal for benz's coolant to discolor over time and when it does, it still effective..TRUE?

3. Do I need to flush the engine with a cleaner thing of some sort? Try to take some carbon build up from the oil over time? Dealer in VA replaced my lifters,cams,rocker arms because it was damaged when the lifters went bad. I am currently hearing this ticking sound again because the last oil change that I had in VA was done on Feb 2006. When they did this, they added this BG MOA Friction Fighter additive which I find very helpful btw.
Anyhow, when I had the Service A done here in CA, they did not have this product nor did they add any type of additive per se to my oil. This caused the ticking to come back 5000mi later when the oil started to degrade..I purchased some and dumped 2 cans per instructions and the ticking almost dissapeared. I believe the cause of this ticking is the carbon build up of contaminats on the hydraulic lifters and BG MOA claims that they actually try to clean this and break it down. This is the reason why I'm asking if I need a flush. Just to get rid of that 3800mi carbon buildup journey...lol....

4. Fuel filter was replaced on 05, Brake flushed on 05, new brake pads on 04. Changed the spark plugs by myself...thanks to the post on this forum on how to...lol...other than that...

What else should I do? This car is definitely a keeper for me. I'm loving it. Do I need to change the diff oil as well?

Lastly, I do have this vibration between 30-38mi and 55-60mi..co W208 members are saying its the control arm bushing...if I get the dealer to fix this for me what should I expect as far as parts and labor cost?

Thanks in advance and I do apologize for the length of this post. I just want to get some info from the tech's or anyone who had experience working with these phenomenal machines...haha...lol...

Thanks again! Happy Cruising!

Rocko
Old 03-30-2007, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 S55 AMG
Talking Bump for the Techs out there

Bump
Old 04-02-2007, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts
2002 CLK430
1. For me, every three to four years the transmission fluid is getting changed. The transmission will delay shifting while cold. That's normal.

2. My coolant gets changed every two years. The MB USA service booklet says 3 years is the limit.

3. I don't use oil additives. If I had valvetrain issues, I might feel differently.

4. I do the fuel filter every 4 years or 60K. Brake fluid every two years.

IHTH