Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I tell if my dogs are heavy enough to set off front passenger airbag?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can I tell if my dogs are heavy enough to set off front passenger airbag?

I want to be able to have my dogs (two, 20lbs each) sit on the front passenger seat of my 2004 SL500 which I just bought (certified pre-owned). For you PeTA members out there, I have seat belt harnesses for them so they wouldn't go flying around.

I had the dogs in a rental Mitsubishi Spyder before I got the SL. In the Spyder, the dogs were on the front seat and the "Passenger Airbag Off" light was lit (presumably because they are so light/small), so I knew they weren't gonna get creamed by the airbag in case of accident.

Although the SL500 has the feature where the front airbags do not go off if the seat is empty, the problem I face is that I have no way of knowing whether the dogs are heavy enough to set off the airbag. The "Airbag Off" light only goes on when a BabySmart seat is in place. It does not light up if the airbag is off merely because the seat is empty.

If I need to, I will buy a BabySmart seat and rip out the transponder and somehow incorporate it into a cushion for the dogs. I'd try to find a used one, but even then, I'd rather not have to go through that expense if the airbag isn't going to go off anyway.

How can I find out if the airbag is on or off when the dogs are in that seat? Can the dealer change the behavior of the light so that it always indicates the status of the airbags? The light is way over on the passenger side so it certainly wouldn't bother me if it was lit all the time.

Or maybe the dealer can hook up the computer while the dogs are in the seat and see if the airbag status is on or off?

Can I buy just the BabySmart transponder somewhere?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G63 AMG, SL65 AMG, CLS550, S550, Tesla Model S Performance, Challenger SRT8
Originally Posted by Chuckstar
For you PeTA members out there,
Old 04-06-2007, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
I would think that 2 20lb dogs will activate the airbag. In my ML500 and my E Class a briefcase or my wife's purse will do it. I do not think a dealer can or will change the factory settings for liability reasons.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you know? Is the behavior of the light different in those cars?

(I guess the answer is probably "yes", but thought I'd ask.)

EDIT: Also, I certainly wouldn't want to have the default behavior changed. Presumably, MB sets up the seats to be as safe as possible for human occupants. I'd hate to change something and have someone get hurt in my car.

Last edited by Chuckstar; 04-06-2007 at 02:45 PM.