Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can jumping the battery cause starter/fuse problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can jumping the battery cause starter/fuse problems

2003 SL500 R230

My front battery has been flat so i jumped it using a battery charger. The car did start and was driven and parked back into my garage. I tried to jump the car again and was unsuccessful. I tried using another battery to jump the car and still no luck. I cannot get the vehicle to jump start. I am waiting on a new battery since it's been special ordered.

Can jumping the car cause the relay or starter to damage?

Someone please let me know what the problem might be or if anything needs to be reset.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-06-2007, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by super_SL500
2003 SL500 R230

My front battery has been flat so i jumped it using a battery charger. The car did start and was driven and parked back into my garage. I tried to jump the car again and was unsuccessful. I tried using another battery to jump the car and still no luck. I cannot get the vehicle to jump start. I am waiting on a new battery since it's been special ordered.

Someone please let me know what the problem might be or if anything needs to be reset.

Thanks in advance!

You probably are ok and your battery has an internal short killing it. Don't try to jump start again. I have seen batteries explode. Just put in the new battery and all should be ok. Jim
Old 04-06-2007, 08:34 PM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
Actually, you are not supposed to jump start that battery. More than likely you popped a few fuses. Under the passenger side front carpet there is a panel and under that panel is a black box which inside contains a few high amp fuses. More than likely you popped one or more of them.

Good luck..
Old 04-07-2007, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Your owners manual contains instructions (or prohibitions) regarding jump starting.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enterprise rent-a-car!!!
Originally Posted by super_SL500
2003 SL500 R230

Thanks in advance!
Yes you can cause damage by incorrectly jumping the car.
When you say it does not start, what is happening,ie, no crank, key wont turn, cranks and wont fire, starts and stalls, is the central locking working, do you get a start error message on the dash. What is excatly happening.