Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airmatic Compressor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airmatic Compressor

Ive been having problems with my new compressor ever since I replaced my old shot compressor for this new one. I can feel/hear the compressor vibrate loudly for a little while almost everytime I start the car and begin driving. Im pretty sure the compressor is working to level the car since I probably have a leaky strut but I know it should not be vibrating loudly on and off even with this problem. I thought the noise was temporary since the compressor was new but its been a few months now and its still the same. I have done some research and have come up with possible conclusions:

1. I was told the compressor just needed to be put on but apparently according to Mercedes-Benz the "Compressor should be diagnosed and activated utilising SBD-102 or factory tool. This updated compressor requires (1) 220 327 00 82 hose and (1) 002 542 13 19 relay per Mercedes_Benz".

2. It might be missing the pneumatic pump mount which is what dampens the vibration but I cant tell since I dont know what that is.

3. The compressor might be flawed/broken/damaged.

4. The sound might just be the compressor overworking due to the leaky strut(s).

5. The compressor might not have been installed properly by the mechanic.

6. It is something else like the hose or something outside the compressor.

Does anybody have an idea what the problem could be?

I drive a 2000 S500 btw. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
I would guess the rubber mounts are the problem that dampen the sound. Most likely, it hitting some metal around it.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:50 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
BMW E30. I've turned to the dark side.
keep in mind, having the front strut tops re-sealed is far cheaper than replacing a burned up pump. sort of preventative maintanence. not sure about the noise, would have to hear/feel it. they dont run very often when the system is sealed up, though.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mitsubishi Outlander 2012 AWD
Noise

Sounds like the rubber mounts put in upside down,drop the under engine splash sheild right side and visually inspect how the three springs are seated ,they should be almost hiddent because they fit into the rubbers . Physically push up on the pump and you should have a springboard effect if not a simple fix is removing the pump and installing the rubber mounts correctly