Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attention 2004 E320 Help Needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attention 2004 E320 Help Needed

Hi there
As a 2004 E320 owner, I have discovered a few things, and would like to know if they are normal or not.

1. When I start the car there is a few second grinding vibration and then it stops. As well when driving it happens at random times and you feel a vibration in the brakes. Again as soon as I turn the car off it sometimes does the same grinding sound for a few seconds.

2. While sitting in idle I sometimes get a beeping noise that will beep every 5-7 seconds and this happens for about 10 times in a row.

3. Whatever the temperature is set at for example 22 degrees celcius for warmth, after a while the vents will start to blow cool air in mine and the passengers face. SHould it be blowing cool air?

4. Again when the heat is on there will sometimes be a faint high pitched noise barely audible that will come and go.

I am just wondering if these are normal, so if anyone can help out and answer these questions I would be greatly relieved and much less aggravated. Thank you very much for your help.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:24 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts
If you haven't already, post this in the w211 section, you'll get more responses from other 211 owners.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Re: Attention 2004 E320 Help Needed

Originally posted by ALMB
Hi there
As a 2004 E320 owner, I have discovered a few things, and would like to know if they are normal or not.

1. When I start the car there is a few second grinding vibration and then it stops. As well when driving it happens at random times and you feel a vibration in the brakes. Again as soon as I turn the car off it sometimes does the same grinding sound for a few seconds.

2. While sitting in idle I sometimes get a beeping noise that will beep every 5-7 seconds and this happens for about 10 times in a row.

3. Whatever the temperature is set at for example 22 degrees celcius for warmth, after a while the vents will start to blow cool air in mine and the passengers face. SHould it be blowing cool air?

4. Again when the heat is on there will sometimes be a faint high pitched noise barely audible that will come and go.

I am just wondering if these are normal, so if anyone can help out and answer these questions I would be greatly relieved and much less aggravated. Thank you very much for your help.
The brake vibration you hear is normal, its the SBC system going through its pre-drive checks and pressure build-up.
The beeping may be a voice mail message, if you have a phone. If not, I'd have to hear it. It is normal for the dash vents to blow cool air, even if the heater is on. For some reason, the engineers don't want hot air blowing in your face. For the faint, high-pitched noise, again I'd have to hear it.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
17 E220D, 11 E350 CDI(sold), 06 CLS320 CDI (sold), 05 Cadillac DeVille (gone), 04 E320 CDI (sold)
could 2) be the selt belt warning? Either driver or passenger belt not fastened?

I had mine disabled it was so annoying.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Re: Re: Attention 2004 E320 Help Needed

Originally posted by mbtech208
It is normal for the dash vents to blow cool air, even if the heater is on. For some reason, the engineers don't want hot air blowing in your face.
This is actually a european feature.... The theory is while having the heater on in the car to heat you body, the vent is to blow "cool and refreshing" air on your face to keep you more alert and refreshed... This cool air is controlled by the dial (lighted blue at night) on the center of your dash.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:53 PM

2004 e320 wagon
Re: Re: Attention 2004 E320 Help Needed

Originally posted by mbtech208
It is normal for the dash vents to blow cool air, even if the heater is on.
but if it's really bothersome, it *may* be possible to disable it by pressing "AC OFF". according to MB, the a/c dehumidifies the air even when it's cold outside.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:54 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 CLK 320
Re: Re: Re: Attention 2004 E320 Help Needed

Originally posted by beluga
but if it's really bothersome, it *may* be possible to disable it by pressing "AC OFF". according to MB, the a/c dehumidifies the air even when it's cold outside.
just use the dial that has the blue markings and dial the cool air off. it's a horizontal dial centered dash on CLK, yours may be different.

A/C is used to dry the cabin air to help remove fog or condensation on the inside glass.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:26 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks MBTECH208 for your response.

5 also have exactly the same problem with a loud grinding noise from the SBC except that in my car (2002 E320) it happens every two or three cycles of using the brake pedal. Very very annoying. I have had the car for just one week and now want to sell it. I understand there is a recall and I am going to have one more try with a dealer to get this fixed under the 10 year SBC warranty campaign. Any further information you have for me would be a big help. Otherwise its a beautiful car. Thanks
Old 04-16-2007, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
The noises are normal.

Be thankful you have this system, as it may save you some day.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by lkchris
The noises are normal.

Be thankful you have this system, as it may save you some day.
Perhaps that's why Mercedes discontinued the SBC system,, because it is so superior and reliable? Jim
Old 04-22-2007, 11:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mitsubishi Outlander 2012 AWD
Noises

Faint high pitched noise could be blower suirrel cage contacting something or the bearing in the motor itself.. The SBC startup noises are normal they have a few recalls for the suction hose and baffles that can be installed . The cool face warm feet is a Mercedes trademark I myself prefer it. Sbc is now replaced by ABR except in the SL models