Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mass Airflow Sensors on 1999 E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 03:50 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E55
Mass Airflow Sensors on 1999 E55

Hi everyone,

In the past few weeks that I have been reading this board, I have noticed some older discussions about the MAS on the E55. I have been wondering if some of the little things I have noticed on my 1999 E55 could be MAS problems rather than just an idosyncracy of the car. I bought the car used about 2 months ago (it only have 13K miles) and have been thrilled with it but have noticed a couple fo things.

First, when I take my foot off the accelerator at low speed, such as in a parking lot, the car bogs down as if the parking brake is on. I let a friend of mine drive the car and he commented on it with me saying a word. It just does not feel like the throttle is as free as it should be.

Also, at times I have noticed that the throttle can be a little jerky when I hit the gas - sort of a lag in response. This usually happens when I am cruising around 50-60 mph with the RPM around 2k and I press the gas - there seems to be a lag time and the car will kick a little as the RPMs start to increase.

The car still has a lot of time left on the warranty and if I have a problem with the MAS I would like to get it fixed. From the posts on the board, it sounds like this type of MAS problem may not show as an error code. If the dealer can find no error, will I have a battle with them trying to get a new MAS with the new software under warranty.

Thanks for all the great posts that I have been reading. This board has helped me out quit a bit.
Old 10-07-2002, 04:24 PM

Isn't it the transmission that causes some of your problems?
There is no such thing as "new software" on a mass air flow sensor. It is not because you do not have any fault codes that no faulty values can be seen with the Star Diagnosis computer.
Patrick
Old 10-17-2002, 06:58 PM

possible transmission valve body problem?
Old 10-17-2002, 07:01 PM

1993 MERCEDES BENZ 300TE
may need a me control unit,,we have replaced a coulpe for sluiggish operation,,after replaced the cars have run like a scalded dog
Old 10-17-2002, 09:57 PM
Almost a Member!

1999 E55
DSMIT, I have never heard of an ME control unit. Can you give me some tech info on what its function is.

According to other E55 owners that I know, there is a newer design MAF sensor that has been installed on some of their cars to fix problems similar to mine. The software that I was refering to is an update to the ECU software due to the slighty different operating characteristics of the updarted MAF sensor.

I appreciate everyones help. This is a great forum. The car is going to the dealer on Tuesday to have this problem fixed as well as another warranty issue that has come up.

Thanks again for all your input.
Old 10-18-2002, 06:58 AM

1993 MERCEDES BENZ 300TE
THE ME ,IS A THE MAIN FUEL CONTROL ,CONTRIL UNIT,,THERE IS AN UPDATEDI: NEW VERSION FOR THE E55.

WE HAVE REPLACED A COUPLE AND CURED DRIVABILITY CONCERNS
Old 10-24-2002, 05:57 PM

E55, ML430
outcome?

Hi, I would be very interested in the outcome of this as my 55 has all the same issues. The performance is certianly not always up to scratch and it seems sluggish...How did you go with it??