Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No sound!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C63 AMG, 2007 B170
No sound!

Hi all,

Sad to have this as my first post but what the heck.

Recently, the OEM Bose speakers in the wife's SLK200 just stopped working. She was commuting to work one day listening to the radio and the sound just suddenly cut out. The headunit looks fine, it's not dead or anything like that, and CDs will play on it, it's just that there's no sound. We took it to the dealer for servicing one day and asked them to look at it, and they couldn't find anything wrong with it and recommended getting a replacement at US$1500!!

Now with that kind of money we could get a completely new soundsystem, but my wife wants to keep the original headunit. Anybody experience anything similar? Thanks all and appreciate any thoughts.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:40 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by Gurlfren
Hi all,

Sad to have this as my first post but what the heck.

Recently, the OEM Bose speakers in the wife's SLK200 just stopped working. She was commuting to work one day listening to the radio and the sound just suddenly cut out. The headunit looks fine, it's not dead or anything like that, and CDs will play on it, it's just that there's no sound. We took it to the dealer for servicing one day and asked them to look at it, and they couldn't find anything wrong with it and recommended getting a replacement at US$1500!!

Now with that kind of money we could get a completely new soundsystem, but my wife wants to keep the original headunit. Anybody experience anything similar? Thanks all and appreciate any thoughts.
well first of all the dealer needs to give you a better answer. they should be able to put the vehicle on their SDS machine and at least determine which component is causing the problem. with optic systems like the mercedes, it could be *any* component on the fiber ring (HU, amp, sat radio, changer,phone) even if the component is working the optic section might be bad which would cause your problem. also it could be the optic fibers.

without a better diagnosis all we can really do is guess at this point which is not going to help you get you car fixed.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C63 AMG, 2007 B170
My thoughts exactly, but I wasn't around when the wife sent and collected the car. All they told her was that she had to get a replacement HU and that they couldn't trace the problem.

Thanks for the advice, I have to admit I don't know much about Benz's, and didn't even know it had optic cables! Does this mean a run-of-the-mill garage won't be able to diagnose the problem?

Last edited by Gurlfren; 05-31-2007 at 07:23 AM.