Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vibrating lights electronic issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 CLK 240
vibrating lights electronic issue

Hi,

I have a 2004 CLK 240. I have a minor problem: If I am standing at the traffic light, the engine is on - all the interior and external lights (even xenon and dashboard) are vibrating. When I release the break and push accelerator pedal it becomes flat. Like something capacitor/condenser or voltage regulator would missing.

I am sure something tiny sensor or something cause and it is more annoyingAny idea?

Thanks,
Denes
Old 06-04-2007, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
By vibrating do you mean that the lights flicker?? If so I would start with the battery and alternater, have them checked out. Beyond that I would examine all the main electrical connectors in the fuse /relay boxes and see if anything is loose and all battery cables and alternator wiring also.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK320
Sounds like issues with the alternator

The alternator is a 3 phase Alternating Current generator with rectifiers and a voltage regulator to convert the AC voltage into Direct Current - which is what the electrical systems in the car operate on.

As opposed to the electrical system in your house or flat, which is AC.

What it sounds like has happened is the rectifer bridge (maybe a unit combined with the regulator), an interal part within the alternator, has failed. A shop that works with automotive charging systems should be able to diagnose this pretty quickly.

A load test to observe the DC voltage and current output will show if the alternator is functioning properly or not. This is done on the vehicle while the engine is running...

The symptom you're describing is a common one when one (or two) of the rectifer assemblies have quit working. When the AC voltage swings from positive to negative (or vice-versa) the bad rectifier is no longer contributing a smooth DC voltage (essentially you're getting pulses of DC output with "gaps" in between), and therefore you see the lights flickering under low rpm / output conditions such as at idle with loads (brake lights, HVAC, headlights on).

At higher rpm, the remaining parts still operating put out more voltage and it's not as noticable...