Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchasing a Diesel MB

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 08:59 PM
ana

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Purchasing a Diesel MB

Hi All,

I am interested in purchasing another diesel Mercedes but I've gotten some conflicting advice from a couple of mechanics.

I have a great 1975 300D, which I love but would like to get a newer diesel, probably from the 1990's. One mechanic I asked for an opinion told me that all the diesels from the 90's are about the same in terms of reliability and performance. The other mechanic told me that anything after the 80's is "crap" and would just end up costing me my first born to fix. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks much,
Ana
Old 07-18-2007, 08:19 AM

84 300SD
you might want to check out the diesel forum. you will get some good advice there. personaly and i feel alot of people feel this way is that the 81-85 300SD are the most reliable and easy to fix and maintain of the MB diesels
my .02 cents
Old 07-18-2007, 10:39 AM
ana

Thanks for the 2 cents. I went back and forth on which forum to post in and I figured since this one included mechanics I could get their point of view. I just posted the same question in the Diesel forum so we'll see what happens.
Thanks again!
Old 07-18-2007, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
When it isn't there, it doesn't break and you don't have to fix it.

With this "brilliant" philosophy, we'd all be driving Model Ts.

The 90s models have 4 valves/cylinder and other modern things the older ones don't. When you have it, it's better. When you don't it's old fashioned.

The CDIs of the 2000s are dripping with technology and they are rocket ships and get better mileage in the bargain.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 231 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by ana
Hi All,

I am interested in purchasing another diesel Mercedes but I've gotten some conflicting advice from a couple of mechanics.

I have a great 1975 300D, which I love but would like to get a newer diesel, probably from the 1990's. One mechanic I asked for an opinion told me that all the diesels from the 90's are about the same in terms of reliability and performance. The other mechanic told me that anything after the 80's is "crap" and would just end up costing me my first born to fix. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks much,
Ana
The 3.5 straight-six used in the 350 SD/SDL (OM603.97) in the early nineties is to be avoided at all costs. That is well documented.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W126

That may be what your mechanic is talking about.